Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Rod & Custom Shows, Belle Vue

29K views 96 replies 41 participants last post by  Airbrushman 
#1 ·
Rod & Custom Shows, Belle Vue, Manchester

I am currently creating a book about the Belle Vue Rod & Custom Shows and various people have already contributed - people like: Nick Butler, Odgie, Holmsey et al. Mike Key has also donated around 1500 photographs(!)

But…..

Was your dad there?
Were you there?
What did it mean to you?
Do you have photos?

Tell me what it meant to you and you never know you may get included in the pages.
Send your contribution as a pm on this site or direct to: rodger.attaway@ntlworld.com

Please do it soon as the publisher's deadline for the words and pictures to go to the designer is November 1st.

Many thanks,

Rodger Attaway

See less See more
#31 ·
Hi Roger,

Long time no see. Hope you are well.

Great to see you are doing a book (so am I). Your contribution to the world of 'customising' was as important as anyone's.

As you know I have a few tales to tell, let me know if you want me to contribute.

This was taken at one of your shows by Dave Stott.

All the best

Ray Mumford

#77 ·
that was one of the first custom cars a ever saw in the tin he lived not far from me and his workshop was close by after that i got to know him and watched him paint celestial he didnt do all the painting he was helped by a guy called ian palmer who bought a 318 motor off me including the auto box out of a aussie charger i wrote off ( and put it in a white xj6 shaved handles and lowered ) i was only 18 big motor no brakes you imagine the rest
cheers
simon
p/s anyone know what happened to ian palmer or the jag

#37 ·
3 of us bought a scrap 68 Plymouth Sattelite in about 1986/7 off Brian Peach when he had a car sales place at Birkenshaw in BFD,this hideous thing was parked next to it for sale! My,how we laughed-and we'd just bought a scrap car- how it must have been laughing at us!
Anyone got a B Body Plymouth for sale with no ID? still have the log book!

#41 ·
Really strange how your mind plays tricks on you as you get older ... I remember going to a Belle View show and seeing Ray Christopher's Past Yer Eyes milk float, a green flipflop over black C-cab, a radical (at the time) Red '57 gasser style street machine - straight tube, up in the sky and all, and a van with optic fiber lights all over the shell ... can someone place the year? ... I could have sworn I left Farnborough in 1975, and I doubt I would have gone with anyone but Paul and/or Dick Lambert, but the first show appears to have been 76 ... unless .. ahh .. unless I went with some of the Newcastle crew ... (Northern Street Rodders???) ... that would place it around 78ish ...

Sorry, my brain isn't what it used to be ...

#46 ·
OOOOOHHH ... Thanks for the pikkies guys .. you got 3 out of 4 in just a couple of hours ... Brill !! ... and all of them spot on .as I remembered seeing them ... I also spoke to Paul today for the first time in 35 years ... He confirmed that we didn't go to Belle Vue together ... so it must have been when I was in Newcastle/South Shields which would account for the date discrepancy perfectly ... 77 it was then ...

#49 ·
Bingo !!! ... See I've not been in the scene since 1978 so I don't remember any of the icons except that they impressed me so deeply at the time ... and now I've just started building again .. at 61

#50 ·
bingo !!! ... See i've not been in the scene since 1978 so i don't remember any of the icons except that they impressed me so deeply at the time ... And now i've just started building again .. At 61
once a rodder always a rodder......​

#52 ·
Yep very sadly it did-that was back in 79-there was a pic of it with a smashed front in the very first issue of SM May 79-aparently there was a problem with the insurance so it wasant covered correctly.

Heres a bit of info on the Thames-the chrome diff cover was a wheel cap and the exhausts ran through Fiat X19 plastic covers out the sides just in front of the rear wheels.

#54 ·
To those who didn't have the opportunity to show or attend any of the Belle Vue shows you missed what was the best organized, run, attended whatever you want to call it, Shows in England's Custom Vehicle history.

Rodger and Graham had a dream and passion that no other has ever replicated, the organization and the assistance by the members of Rainy City Cruisers was events that no one could or should forget, from the Fire Alarms at 2am in the Hotel to drunken parties ( I did not attend any of those and anyone who says any different is a " Little Lyre " )

Many thanks Rodger I will try and find any photos of those " Blurs " in my miss spent life.

Steve Stringer. clayman@claymodeller.com

To the Thames " Star Wars " post yes it was totaled after a Chelsea cruise night, and due to an oversight by an office employee when we moved premises the same weekend there was a one day lapse in vehicle coverage. Oh well life goes on !

#57 ·
It's great to read all your thoughts and memories from Belle Vue. The book is progressing but it's still a ways off being published but we will get there!
Ray, great to hear from you and I'd appreciate your contribution - (I'm looking forward to seeing your book).
Steve, Thanks for your kind words and if you'd like to contribute, it would be appreciated.
Mopar, a favour? I do not have a copy of the '79 programme. Could you do a full scan of it for me and email it to me?
Camarodaz28, I don't know which show your pics are from but it's not a Rod & Custom Show although it is Belle Vue. (our posts had concrete bases and were either blue or white and our ropes were always blue plus each vehicle had a showcard).

All the photos and contibs are kept in separate credited archives so that those that are used will be given the correct credit (plus I think that those that will be included will have to sign off permission) so if any of you have good quality (allowing for the aging process) photos, I am very interested in seeing them. You can always email me at: rodger.attaway@ntlworld.com

The book itself appears to have evolved into a fairly detailed look at the UK show scene from BHRA's first one day show in 1963 through "Drag Racing - 69" at Farfield Halls and into the major indoor show period from the early 70s to 1983, including the CC shows. So any pictures, memories and/or contributions are more then welcome. I believe that this was an extremely important time in the evolution of the UK hotrod movement so to get it right, I need your contributions.

Your help is appreciated, Thanks

Rodger Attaway

#59 ·
I just stumbled across this forum.

I have fond memories of those shows. Nice to see picks of Roger's Plymouth and that superb '67 of Mick's. I've not seen any of the guys for years, although my old pal Martin Tyman makes an annual trip up here.

I remember that Milk Float doing burn outs in the covered car park.

Still got a Chevy but I use my bus pass more often these days. :lol:

#60 ·
Belle Vue was where it all started for me. I'd just past my car test and was trying to get interested in cars, but after being into the bike scene the novelty was wearing off and they where starting to be a bit tame,............ till I went to this car show ( the first ever Belle Vue).
I'd never seen cars like this, and 10 seconds through the door I was completely hooked!, and here we are 30 odd years later, still love'em just as much, still running my life around them.

#61 ·
Those who dont want to pay to get into a show, could always hang around the back door.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.