Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Rod & Custom Shows, Belle Vue

29K views 96 replies 41 participants last post by  Airbrushman 
#1 ·
Rod & Custom Shows, Belle Vue, Manchester

I am currently creating a book about the Belle Vue Rod & Custom Shows and various people have already contributed - people like: Nick Butler, Odgie, Holmsey et al. Mike Key has also donated around 1500 photographs(!)

But…..

Was your dad there?
Were you there?
What did it mean to you?
Do you have photos?

Tell me what it meant to you and you never know you may get included in the pages.
Send your contribution as a pm on this site or direct to: rodger.attaway@ntlworld.com

Please do it soon as the publisher's deadline for the words and pictures to go to the designer is November 1st.

Many thanks,

Rodger Attaway

See less See more
#71 · (Edited)
Allways loved the art work on medusa.

MEDUSA - Another surprise (two in one day). And another first.

This was the first job I did that was all my own idea and design.

It was probably about the third or fourth time I did anything on a car, so I was still getting the hang of an air brush (and I think it was a cheap single action).

Sadly, when I finished it and went home, the paint shop owner smeared a liberal dose of tasteless red and gold flake and lace over the roof. Completely ruining the whole appearance.

Then told everyone he did it all!

Thanks 'Dagenham Dustbin'.

Oh, and the first surprise was my first ever paint job, re-posted on 'Hi from deepest Norfolk' thread.

#67 ·
A real labour of love. Good job, well done.
Pete

#68 ·
That Barry gets in everywhere...

Can't remember his name but he was a regular down the Rising Sun, Grays.

#74 ·
Ken Kirby was his name, and it was I who first brought him up there, although it was only because he wanted me to introduce him to the "resident lady" who also frequented the pub.
Well spotted Dave.
Pete

#75 ·
"resident lady" ??

#76 ·
Yes, you know, friends to all the men, nudge nudge, wink wink.
Drove a car, had tits.

#78 ·
Hear that ? .... Penny dropping .... drove an Opel Manta .... tits ? .... you have a selective memory.

#79 ·
Good on yer Dave, you know who I mean now.
I only remember people by their tits.
I remember that you dont have any.
Well, you didn't when you were slim, but with middle age spread.....who knows. LOL 8)

#86 ·
loving this thread - almost brings a tear to my eye -sob sob..... i remember going to belle vue as a kid, once with my dad who wasn't interested at all but gave in to my constant nagging! and once with a mate and his dad. cant remember the years though, but do recognise a lot of these cars in the pictures. i do remember being awestruck at the cars and feeling somewhat embarassed (as a kid remember) seeing a car (striptease??) with a mural of a naked woman painted on it - or is this just my immagination? if it was 1979 i would only be 10yr old. ahh the memories. :tup: steve.

#88 ·
Hi rodger i used to go to the belleveu shows and had a fantastic time each year,then years later in the ninties i worked in trafford park there was this young lad worked in our offices one day i was talking to him about my hobby of hotrods during which he told me about his dad running a hotrod show at bellevue. At this time i was running a hotrod show at my sons school in worsley with the help of the guys from rainy city cruisers,i asked your son to se if you would open the show for us that year ,and you agreed to do it.it was great to see you back where you belonged i think you enjoyed catching up with some of the guys who showed cars at your shows.anyway i think i have some photos in my loft i seem to remember a beetle called walnut creek was this at one of your shows also sonic /roaring rat etc i will try to find them for you.cheers glyn

#91 ·
I thought it was about time I gave a little update on where I am with the book....

It is nearly finished, well subject to the editor making sense of my ramblings and the layout artist turning it from a shambles into something presentable and then the printer.... and so on.

Loads of people have contributed, and if you are tempted, then the deadline for them is May 20th, which then gives me a whole month before I pass the whole thing onto the above-mentioned folks. I really appreciate all the support that you people have shown.

I don't think I would have attempted to do this had it not been for the welcome shown to me at Worsley (thanks Glyn) and then much later at Billing (last year) and the ongoing support from Russ D, Mopar, Nick Pettitt, Nick Butler and Mike M.

Nearly there.....

Rodger

rog.n.corinne@gmail.com

#94 ·
I know I am resurrecting an old thread, but I was at the 78 Bell Vue show with my Mk1 Capri twin cam. I shared the stand with the V8 milk float, my Mrs was pregnant with our first child and it was fingers crossed she didn't give birth . I went with a few of the guys and their cars from the Valley Vans and Cruisers Custom club, the only one I can remember was the chopped straight six 55 Austin van. It would be great if anyone had any more pics of the show as I never had a camera back then.

Mick

#95 ·
I think I must be suffering from old timers disease as I never went to Belle View Manchester in 78. It was the Birmingham Custom Car Show in 78 but I can't remember the venue name so if anyone out there can help with any pics or info I would be most grateful.

Mick or am I lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.