Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Rod & Custom Shows, Belle Vue

29K views 96 replies 41 participants last post by  Airbrushman 
#1 ·
Rod & Custom Shows, Belle Vue, Manchester

I am currently creating a book about the Belle Vue Rod & Custom Shows and various people have already contributed - people like: Nick Butler, Odgie, Holmsey et al. Mike Key has also donated around 1500 photographs(!)

But…..

Was your dad there?
Were you there?
What did it mean to you?
Do you have photos?

Tell me what it meant to you and you never know you may get included in the pages.
Send your contribution as a pm on this site or direct to: rodger.attaway@ntlworld.com

Please do it soon as the publisher's deadline for the words and pictures to go to the designer is November 1st.

Many thanks,

Rodger Attaway

See less See more
#4 ·
Roger,i remember certanly 78 and i think 79 Steel City Cruisers used to hire a coach ,60 seater(spaces were prized as we had 180ish members in those days) to take the members over the pennines to the show,we were there all day,and the best part was waiting outside for the cars to come out after prize giving,we used to cheer the driven motors and boo the trailered -fuckin idiots !!,brilliant memories though,thanks very much !Bry(and the old SCC membership)

#5 · (Edited)
Our club Chelmsford Drag & Street Rod Club from Essex were there 1976 1977 1978. In 77 Mick Kemp trailered Tim Cooks old French model A pickup to the show for our display. Here are some clips of my cine film. towed it behind Silver Surfer his custom Transit. Mick drove from New York to Seatle 4000 mls in a original Model T bakers van this year gets around.

#6 ·
I exhibited at the first Show with my '33 Plymouth, i've got a picture of it somewhere with the Show Pennant hanging from the induction stacks.
I took a Drag Bike one year 'The Flying Cornishman'.
I seem to remember Southern Comfort sponsering something, I have got a photo of me and my wife with my black '57 and a bottle of Southern Comfort.
Was it at Manchester?
Rog.

#8 ·
& some more.....:tup:

THATS MIKE KEYES BLUE B, JOHN 'SPATS' WILKINSONS CREAMY B, THEN ERRR A MODEL Y, & OF COURSE MOONDUST, NOT SURE WHERE THE MOONDUST PIC CAME FROM BUT THANKYOU WHOEVER...:tup:

Attachments

#9 ·
& more

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
& MORE...:smoke:

BY THE WAY THAT LONG FRONTED B WAS AT THE REDBOURNE NATS A FEW YEARS BACK IN PALE BLUE UP FOR SALE...

Attachments

#13 ·
Many thanks for the info, comments and piccies... they all help. Identifying different cars and owners and/or clubs is one of the hardest bits, so this really helps.

Yes Rog, it was BV. Southern Comfort were involved for a number of years. I'd like to see the photos if you find them.

Please keep it coming...
Rodger

#14 ·
i went to the belle vue shows when i was a kid about 7ish and on from that
.iwas already mental about cars hotrods and drag cars ,these shows blew my minde, i now know a few of the people that had cars in the shows that are still makeing rods and customs ,these people and their cars have inspired me to build my own and just have a blast with them ,one of my brothers was heavily into photography at the time with a dark room set up in the attic ,
watching the images of all the kool rods imerging on the paper still sticks in my head lol :smoke:

#18 ·
the red victor

i havnt seen that car in a long time it was my victor it ran a v8 rover and a ventora rear end stock front end and it had ally interior and 4 bucket seats and it drove like a broken trolly jack(in the wet more so due to the n50 tyres being sh**) but it brings back a few good memories its good to see DEREK rainy city

#19 ·
Have you been in touch with my mate Graham Knott from Stockport - he had the black Graffitiesque Humber Super Snipe with the 350 sbc in it at the Belle Vue show they shot the Cruisin'/Shut Down movies in...

And better yet, he still has it and it is mint - hasn't truned a wheel in anger for 30 years!

I'll pass on your info if you haven't spoken to him!

#20 ·
MILT, OUT OF CURIOSITY ARE YOU SAYING THEY FILMED SHOTS FOR SHUTDOWN & CRUISIN FROM THAT HUMBER WITH A CAMERA OUT THE WINDOW??......IM ALSO TRYING TO GET AN EXACT DATE OR EVEN CLOSELY APPROXIMATE OF WHEN SHUTDOWN WAS FILMED PARTICULARLY AT BLACKBUSHE & WHERE THEY ALL PILLED UP AT THAT PUB, SORRY TO GO OFF THREAD A BIT BUT HAVE YOU GOT ANY IDEAS??....(CRUISIN FILMING DATES WOULD BE NICE TOO!!).:smoke:

#23 ·
What a memory, the guy in the other C10 was Budgie, quite a wild boy. Every time we stopped at a red light i was push time.
You must have some great photos Phil, you sould put them on.

Rog

#26 · (Edited)
"Just been into my barn to find this, Gawd knows how it has survived my many moves, its always been hanging somewhere....."

Brilliant, i've got one up the loft somewhere, I remembered them as being pink. My memory is dodgy at the best of times but it was a very long time ago

Terry Riddle just sent me these of the first show, the late great Mick Cooke, a young long haired Terry Riddle and my wife Sue. To show how long ago it was, the Cortina towing my unfinished Plymouth was brand new, it was my mates company car.

Rog.

#28 ·
They were taken in 1976, they were sent to me by Terry.
That's an interesting old T you've got there, it led a wild life with the Riddler back in the seventies. Did you see Nicks copys of the Jago catalogue on his site, they have all the T parts on there. They are on the Timetravel site, the prices may have changed though!

Rog.

#29 ·
A whole bunch of us vanners went to that first show, then they asked some of us to put the vans in the show, I can remember loads of us spending the night in CT's Thames in the carpark, cos we had nowhere to stay with our vans locked inside...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.