Likes Likes:  4
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 53 Ford F100

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

53 Ford F100

Hi all,

New here and to the world of custom builds etc. I've just committed to buy a 53 F100 and have pretty grand plans for it over the next 5 years or so.

As many are, the whole registration/historic plate/8 point system confuses the hell out of me, so I thought I'd ask for some advice based on what I want to do with the truck, so here goes.

-Keep the og chassis and reinforce it a bit
    -fit a mustang 2 kit and 4 link for air ride
    -4 disc conversion for brakes
    -power steering
    -engine and transmission swap (not sure what set up yet)
    -other bits and pieces that don't relate to the 8 point system from my understanding.

Is there any way after all of this is done the truck can keep a non Q plate reg?

Cheers all,

Glen

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, there's no way LEGALLY you can do that and still be entitled to Historic status.

You can however build it to BIVA , exactly as you ask and ( if planned correctly) retian a Historic STYLE plate and pay standard road tax of £250ish.

If you want a detailed translated to English spec of how to build to BIVA and achieve what you want contact me for a copy of Dummies Guid eto BIVA ,available for £20 donation to my local hospice .

As you are totally new to this I should explain I'm not and have been involved with building and fighting legislation for over 45 years.

4. LikesGmoulds1 liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I should alos point out that SHOULD you heavily modified non 8 points compliant vehicle ever be discovered it's v5c will be removed and it will be sent for BIVA anyway .

It tends to make more sense ( well to me at least) to build the vehicle to BIVA spec whichever way you intend using it. Only drawback is that if caught you will be issued with a Q although if you submet it yourslef that can be avoided.

Nothing wrong with a Q ( for quality) , indicates inspection and does give some leeway on certain laws.

6. LikesGmoulds1 liked this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nearly forgot , I'm presuming it is already registered in the UK as that should be your first move regardless.

9. LikesGmoulds1 liked this post
    I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kapri, thanks for the detailed advice, that's great! I'll take you up on that offer and pm you to arrange.

The other option I'm considering since the truck is 100% original (so I've been told and as far as I can see) is to overhaul the motor and transmission and upgrade the steering and suspension. Am I right in saying that if I go down the mustang 2 kit or even a donor front end and 4 link system that would constitute both a suspension deduction AND an axle deduction based on the 8 points? Or just the suspension?

That was going to be my next question, register straight away or build first and then register but I think you've just answered that. Am I right in saying it wouldn't have to be road legal ie indicator conversion and all that stuff first before the V5c is issued?

Thanks again!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    To stay within 8 points you'd usually go change engine box and back axle which leaves you still legal . Brakes are 'free' .

If you also change steering you are outside the 8 points system.

Likewise fitting a Mustang 2 suspension is an alteration to chassis parameters and is an immediate out of points system modification.

You will 99% be inspected before registration and the vehicle must be roadsworthy ( ie MOT passable and drivable ) to enter into Historic for the first time.

If you want to char scenarios through I'll send you my phone number by PM.

12. LikesGmoulds1 liked this post
    I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's cool, thanks. Looks like build to BIVA will be the way to go for what I want to accomplish then.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information