Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

To BIVA or not to bover, that is the question

Reading about the BIVA test is giving me a few concerns whether to go for it and keep me fingers crossed, or hoy in the towel now and cut my losses on building something and buying something already built and done pre '98. Anyone else having second thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lee Have had a few thoughts about what to do about this SVA/BVA
    and have decided just to go for it . Have spoke to the guy that mots my cars he says no problem, the classic car insurance i use also said no problem .
    So I'm just going to bite the bulit and see what happens

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure whether this is relevant in your case, but I will need BIVA test for my build and my backup plan is that if it all goes hopeless wrong and it is virtually unpassable, don't throw in the towell. Just look at Rubellion: Not road legal but still attends events like the Hot Rod Drags and Hayride (Ok, not cruises) and has as much fun as anyone. Consider this

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im in a luckish position as my build is just a rolling chassis although a few quid out of pocket, so it feasible to build to BIVA spec but a few questions im thinking of already causing probs of how i want my build. Main concern being money as building a rod aint cheap and making sure the stuff you buy is biva acceptable and if they change spec then parts ive bought are now no good. MMMMMMMMMMMM. I know alot of people will be reading this thinking, im just gona do mine and not care about the biva's which is fine but im building mine with a biva test in mind incase its pulled as anything built post '98, even if its been on the road then years, can be pulled for a test.
    Last edited by leepop633; 08-03-2010 at 18:13.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by leepop633 View Post
    Im in a luckish position as my build is just a rolling chassis although a few quid out of pocket, so it feasible to build to BIVA spec but a few questions im thinking of already causing probs of how i want my build. Main concern being money as building a rod aint cheap and making sure the stuff you buy is biva acceptable and if they change spec then parts ive bought are now no good. MMMMMMMMMMMM. I know alot of people will be reading this thinking, im just gona do mine and not care about the biva's which is fine but im building mine with a biva test in mind incase its pulled as anything built post '98, even if its been on the road then years, can be pulled for a test.
    I guess it is often a gamble as to whether you build it more how you want the car to be and disregard the BIVA scheme, but risking it not getting on the road at the end of it or getting pulled (which would depend entirely on each car and how drastic the threatening changes and mods are), or building it to BIVA spec, which would almost certainly cost more and perhaps end up with a rod your no entirley pleased with, but is legit and gives peace of mind.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    My SVA'd rod and should have some pictures of a BIVAd rod ,after the retest, shortly.

Also got a 100E pick up awaiting its retest, essentially failed on too loud and rear brakes too efficient ( locking before fronts ).
    Last edited by kapri; 08-03-2010 at 19:36.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the stuff for BIVA costs nothing but time and thought or no more than non BIVA spec stuff.
    The most expensive bit is the test itself , £450 for around a 6 hour test. You don't need an MOT for 3 years afterwards so there's a saving of £150

The BIVA spec itself is a good base to work even if you don't intend modifying so far that it needs the test, or even if you have no intention of using the test, though some of the radii criteria are picky .
    IE you have to have brake lines and fuel lines plus wiring clipped up at set intervals, it would still fail an MOT if insecure so clipping to BIVA spec solves both problems.

We are all grown ups so everyone can make their own call and accept any consequences of that decision .
    Last edited by kapri; 08-03-2010 at 19:40.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kev where can you get a copy of the BIVA required spec ?

Official RnS Addict farncombe pop's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well i'm going for a damm good try for SVA [ still available for my truck ] and a hell of alot cheaper to test than a car,
    And a rod don't have to cost the earth i'm still on budget for a sva'ed v8 burbleing smile making truck for under 5k.
    Last edited by farncombe pop; 08-03-2010 at 20:08.
    Here to help !

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    like it or loath it biva is here and in my view is just a way of raising the quality of builds
    (and i say this inspite of my hatred of a lot of officialdom)
    but there are many ways of working within the rules without extra cost over doing a poor job
    i would suggest starting by going through the rules page by page so you are fully aware of what they standard is they require
    and i would be wary of products which claim to be biva compliant (with appropriate price hike) as a component which will pass in one situation may not in another and also a non compliant item may pass depending on instalation
    here is a link to what i believe is the current legislation
    http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/cr...enger-Cars.pdf
    needs to be rewritten in plain english
    ttfn glenn

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information