Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

BIVA and rear lights

Quick intro, I am planning a Ford Pop build 3.5 supercharged Rover Jag rear viva front, I am so out of touch with current UK regs that lots of silly questions Pop up as I sort and buy parts.

Based on my first question to BIVA or not, 149 people looked only one left a reply, is everybody that scared of meeting BIVA requirements. or like me you just don't understand what's needed

So lets start on rear lights, seems simple, You must have 2 red side lights 2 red stop lights 1 white number plate light 1 red fog light and 1 white reversing light, a pair of amber indicators and what you have (you can have more) must work.

The M1 inspection manual 2012 gives all the max and minimum distances from side and height, brightness is not covered here (but beware it is elsewhere ) everything should be "E"e" marked

The clever stuff: High level brake lights NOT listed but don't all new cars fit them (?). they are not needed for MOT. Rear fog light must have a illuminated lamp (clearly marked unlit pictogram or words)

Side lights (including number plate light must be on same switch) also need a tell tale, it may be the illumination of the instruments

Brake lights also need a tell tale in case of fluid/vacuum failure but careful, a new update seems to imply that in this case the dash warning light must shine thought the pictogram so no misunderstanding of use is possible.

Reversing light must either work off reverse gear or have a telltale light.

Comments on reflectors 2 non triangular size of an old penny…….LOL

So have I covered everything? is the above correct,? replies will be appreciated by everyone trying to meet BIVA standards, looking forward to them Thanks
    No More Mr. Nice Guy

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think lighting should be too much of a problem, as the kit car market is pretty well supplied with appropriately marked light assemblies and switches, although not all of them particularly appealing aesthetically. I would imagine you'll have far more work involved in getting the correct radius on things like bonnet edges, gutters, hinges and lights at the front.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Bitsa; 21-10-2015 at 15:48.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Latest edition of BIVA manual 25/10/12 version 8.02 ( due for update end of April 2013)

Lighting covered in section 20-25.

Details below for BIVA NOT NIVA ( later section of th manual which doesn't cover Amateur built)

Lights do NOT have to be E marked ,only to have a light equivalency. The only light which MUST have a E mark ( and an F designating for Fog) is the rear fog light.

If a light used DOES carry E (e) marks then it must meet certain standards.

High level brake light NOT required for BIVA.

Daytime running lights NOT required for BIVA .However if fitted they must meet laid down criteria.

Retro reflectors section 21. No size specified but angles of visibility / height etc are. Triangular reflectors ( UGH! ) not allowed to be used , EU ruling on the grounds of poor taste Best to try to incorporate reflectors into rear lights aesthetically.
    Last edited by kapri; 09-03-2013 at 11:19.

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Guys 161 views on this subject and 3 knowledgable replies, got to help.

Yes I live in Dubai the master plan was to have a pre 60 car stored and ready for when I do visit the UK, No MOT no Tax but that plan is long in the bin. I've already got the Harley so next on Bucket list blown V8 rod. LOL

By doing these threads in small bites (there will be a lot more) makes me read up on all the various paperwork and postings I can find and hopefully the replies will tidy up all the sillies I find. As Kapri comments buying BIVA spec stuff in the first place can save grief in the long even if you don't plan to build to spec, (I do so plan).

Next instalment Wednesday (you guessed) Front lights and mirrors………..reflect on that
    No More Mr. Nice Guy

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information