Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  3
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Driving Licence

Official RnS Addict fordf350camper's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Driving Licence

I am not sure.If you passed your test in 1985 i know you can drive a 7.5 ton.What if you have a classic over 40yrs over 7.5 ton can you drive it if its not used for business or money just for pleasure.Or do you have to have to have a driving test.What weight does it need to be come to be a HGV thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie shovelheadrob's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Over 3500kg is hgv territory as far as vehicle licensing goes, Same for MOT although American pick ups up to 6500kg (iirc) are class 4......
    There is an exemption on driving licence requirements, it used to be pre 60? hgv could be driven on a car (B) licence, I'll see if I can find a link to the relevant legislation.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie shovelheadrob's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have a look here, https://www.footmanjames.co.uk/blog/...rcial-vehicles there's a link to a .gov information leaflet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelheadrob View Post
    Over 3500kg is hgv territory as far as vehicle licensing goes, Same for MOT although American pick ups up to 6500kg (iirc) are class 4......
    There is an exemption on driving licence requirements, it used to be pre 60? hgv could be driven on a car (B) licence, I'll see if I can find a link to the relevant legislation.
    there was a date when the 'above 3500kg you had to pass an hgv test' law came in, but if you passed your test before then a car licence covers you up to 7500kg. mine does.
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

7. Likeskapri liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replys.Yes i can drive a 7.5 ton but if its 11.5 and its a 1972 i would need another test but if i got it down rated to a 7.5 i would be ok ? thanks again

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes if it's plated down to 7.5 ton you can drive it on your licence and not need a tachograph or an operators licence. oh and tax it plg too. a vosa guy told me all this when i asked about down plating a 12 ton lorry to 7.5 ton some time ago. he said you can down plate any size lorry to 7.5 ton as long as it still has a 2 ton or more payload, ie it has to be 5.5 tons or less empty.
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

10. Likeskapri liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I assume you have it registered as a Private HGV?

Some good information here:

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/20...r-license.html

American Truck importer v8.jimmy's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The ruling is that an HGV for driving licence regs is over 7500kgs (apart frm modern licences can't remember the date) , but for MOT regs it is over 3500kgs, apart from American pickups up to 6500kgs.
    Now, the rule on driving the older HGVs is that if it is pre 1960 and not used for the carriage of goods, and not towing a laden trailer, then you can drive it on your car licence. This is also relevant to the younger car licence holders who do not have the 7500kgs on theirs. If it is an artic, or heavy drawbar type lorry and trailer, then both unit and trailer have to be pre 1960. i.e. MOT and tax exempt lorries as the cut off for that is 1960 (currently,, it is under review). The over 40 years old thing did not roll on for HGVs, and in fact, when it rolled on for light vehicles, there were many classes of HGV which HAD been MOT exempt, which then lost that exemption, recovery trucks, heavy locomotive, ballast tractor, etc etc... even my 10 ton DAF cherry picker which is a 1990 and hasn't ever been MOTd would now require one if I was to use it on the road.
    The really laughable one was that mobile cranes lost their MOT exemption and had to have an MOT "if it fits in the test station" lol
    Last edited by v8.jimmy; 31-05-2020 at 09:38.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tell me about it Jimmy! I’m the fleet manager for a company that hires out MEWPS (cherry pickers mounted on the back of trucks) and you would not believe the increase in my workload when that law changed as they had always been mot exempt as they are mobile cranes....you wouldn’t believe how many workshops there are that these things won’t fit through the doors!
    Last edited by Magman; 31-05-2020 at 10:33.

15. Likesv8.jimmy liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information