Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  24
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I I have said this before but I had a client that is a climate change scientist (and chemical engineer) and she says that the greenest car is the one you already have....

2. LikesWolselliac, Slamera63, Kustom Jim liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drseg View Post
    not about green its about making money there are so many other ways but evs make business more money solar concave mirrors concentrated on one point in deserts producing superheated steam turbine pr0ducing electricity, electrolysis producing hydrogen compressed burn it in internal combustion engine produces water. yes has to be high pressure as hydrogen lacks the energy of hydro carbons but will still work, hydrogen explodes and hindenberg arguments occur have you seen lithium batteries go off ...... its all about making money
    You have hit the nail on the head.
    Deep sea exploration/mining has already been issued over 300 licences - all purely for the money - so it will go ahead & the world be damned.

I'm a grown up member now ! Wolselliac's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    I I have said this before but I had a client that is a climate change scientist (and chemical engineer) and she says that the greenest car is the one you already have....
    And the problem is Joe Public just doesn't understand that new cars=new carbon footprint. I found it really difficult getting the point across to those who asked why I drove a 30 yr old car as a daily to work and not get a new car (like theirs and on credit). The phrase "Carbon Footprint) had not been invented at the time and told them that all this car has needed over it's 30 yrs of existence was tyres and oil (apart from the occasional welding etc), and then to justify a newer car they would say mine was less economical than theirs but couldn't grasp the maths regarding the extra spent on the "additional fuel" would Never overtake the depreciation for their new liability. Additionally they could never see/understand the power sapped in constructing a new car. And believe me this was from people who worked in production & manufacturing industries.
    I quickly learnt to let them "win", as it just wasn't worth to effort, as the phrase goes:- "Ignorance can be corrected, but stupidity is forever".

6. Likesdrseg, blackpopracing, Torment, 29stude, sjb liked this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drseg View Post
    not about green its about making money there are so many other ways but evs make business more money solar concave mirrors concentrated on one point in deserts producing superheated steam turbine pr0ducing electricity, electrolysis producing hydrogen compressed burn it in internal combustion engine produces water. yes has to be high pressure as hydrogen lacks the energy of hydro carbons but will still work, hydrogen explodes and hindenberg arguments occur have you seen lithium batteries go off ...... its all about making money
    Hydrogen would be perfect if you didn't need to expend loads of energy either freezing it or compressing it. It's a bugger to store and it's not as green as they make out.
    You burn hydrogen in an internal combustion engine your exhaust is not just water, because of the high temperatures you also get oxides of nitrogen, which are a well known dangerous pollutant.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jo Bamford (of JCB fame) was on the radio yesterday asking for £500M from the Govt to develop hydrogen power. He reckons sparks are fine for smaller vehicles, but if you're trying to move a bus (he's recently taken over Wright's buses in NI), or a ferry you need hydrogen power.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NMNeil View Post
    Hydrogen would be perfect if you didn't need to expend loads of energy either freezing it or compressing it. It's a bugger to store and it's not as green as they make out.
    You burn hydrogen in an internal combustion engine your exhaust is not just water, because of the high temperatures you also get oxides of nitrogen, which are a well known dangerous pollutant.
    Hydrogen vehicles aren’t built to power combustion engines, it’s used to power fuel cell electric vehicles.
    Hyundai already have a good few running over here but it’s the usual issue of the infrastructure needing to catch up with the technology.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50212037

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information