Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  23
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Engine /transmission change

Thinking of doing a change of engine/transmission that's not original fitment, does this mean substantial changes in the eyes of the powers to be?

All other running gear, brakes, axles etc as standard.

Will vehicle lose it's Historic status as re taxing etc?

Will it affect the DVLA 8pt ruling?

Cheers
    Get a haircut and get a real job.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

American Truck importer v8.jimmy's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Substantial change on the face of it as far as vhi goes. Keep free road tax but mot it each year.
    Deduct 3 points from your 14 for dvla 8 point rule fo vehicle identity. Still keeps age related or original plate.

4. LikesDEVONMAN liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depending whetrher in chassis or monococque car , remember to remain legal no cutting.

6. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by v8.jimmy View Post
    Substantial change on the face of it as far as vhi goes. Keep free road tax but mot it each year.
    Deduct 3 points from your 14 for dvla 8 point rule fo vehicle identity. Still keeps age related or original plate.
    At the beginning of all this I thought losing vhi meant losing the age related plate and the reason I decided to leave my pop as is, but that is not the case. I assume if I replaced the front axle and steering it would be the same, mot but keep the plate.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop boy racer View Post
    At the beginning of all this I thought losing vhi meant losing the age related plate and the reason I decided to leave my pop as is, but that is not the case. I assume if I replaced the front axle and steering it would be the same, mot but keep the plate.
    No, you have to stay 8 points compliant to keep the reg'. 5 points unaltered chassis/monocoque, 2 steering, 2 both axles, 2 both front and rear suspension, 2 gearbox and 1 engine. The chassis/monocoque must be part of the adding up but any 3 points from the rest of the list to get the 8 you need is fine. Neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

9. Likeskapri liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is where you have to watch and not mix up the 2 things. When the VHI rules were sorted out, a lot was left in "grey areas" e.g. the ability to change stuff for economy, environmental or safety grounds.
    SO, let's do a scenario, '55 Chevy truck, 6 cyl , manual, 100% stock, 14 points VHI and 8 point compliant for identity.
    It would be available with a V8 and auto from the factory with same brakes, axles, steering and suspension as the 6 pot, SO engine and box change to V8 auto is not a substantial change, still 14 point compliant for VHI, but you lose 3 points towards identity, leaving you with 11 points, so still okay. To save the environment you change the rear axle for a better geared one and change the suspension to air bags to be more environmentally road friendly, same as HGVs, then you add power steering for safety. In the grey area, you are still not substantially changed for VHI so still 14 points and MOT exempt with free road tax.
    Oh, hang on a minute, what about identity and age related plate? You lost 1 point for engine, 2 for trans, 2 for axle, 2 for suspension and 2 for steering. Suddenly you only have the 5 points for the chassis left, so your truck now has to go for BIVA and is not therefore eligible for VHI.
    This is where I see most wrong assesments on facebook, as people keep looking at VHI rules to get MOT exemption and take their eye off the ball regarding the identity. They assume the rules are one and the same and if they appear to meet the VHI rules, then they are fine with identity, which they are not. People don't undertsand that these are 2 entirely different things, just using the same categories to add up the points but with different criteria for qualifying for said points. The over riding fact is that IF a vehicle is not 8 point compliant, then it doesn't matter how you interpret the grey areas on VHI for MOT/tax exemption, you are NOT eligible for that as your car/truck needs BIVA............
    Last edited by v8.jimmy; 11-06-2018 at 09:42.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    So if you have, say, A glass 32a on rails,all ford running gear,with a VHI reg ( but not a 32 ) thats been built and on the road over 20 years. how would that stand on the 8-14 point rules? keeping its plate and also biva. ( sorry this is not just about replacing engine and box) Iam still a bit confused by all of this
    Last edited by Chitty; 11-06-2018 at 10:20.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chitty View Post
    So if you have, say, A glass 32a on rails,all ford running gear,with a VHI reg ( but not a 32 ) thats been built and on the road over 20 years. how would that stand on the 8-14 point rules? keeping its plate and also biva. ( sorry this is not just about replacing engine and box) Iam still a bit confused by all of this
    It's not so dificult if you treat it in the correct order. Quite simply, was the car built pre 1988 with proof? In not, then does it meet the 8 point rule on identity? If yes retain age related plate and if it then meets the 14 point criteria for MOT exemption then go ahead. If not, it should have a BIVA test and it is then also not VHI compliant. You then have 2 choices, submit for BIVA or (what I would be doing) carry on as before but MOT it and keep age related plate and free road tax...... at this time...who's to know?

13. Likeskapri, mygasser, Kustom Jim liked this post
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chitty View Post
    Then this car is not original in any way at all and should be on a Q plate paying tax and being MOT'd. Whats wrong with a Q plate

15. Likeskapri liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Q came out in 1985 , anything built from the ground up after that date should be on a Q .

1998 SVA ( now BIVA) came into being and any ground up should have passed this test to be legal .

Pre '98 may have Grandfather rights if certain criteria are met and the problem faced in a particular way.

17. Likesv8.jimmy liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information