Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  23
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mmmmmm, don't really want to say as it's only an opinion / feeling and ****ed off with getting into rows over this crap when all I'm trying to do is help . I know where I see it going, it's all only logical if you keep a finger on the pulse , but it's only the time frame that I'm not sure of.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    So I'm keeping the original engine and gearbox, chassis is original and unmodified, suspension stays. That's 10 points. So I keep the registration number. I change the front axle and fit disc brakes, I change the steering, all for safety. Now needs mot. Is that it.

American Truck importer v8.jimmy's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop boy racer View Post
    So I'm keeping the original engine and gearbox, chassis is original and unmodified, suspension stays. That's 10 points. So I keep the registration number. I change the front axle and fit disc brakes, I change the steering, all for safety. Now needs mot. Is that it.
    To answer that, you'll need to tell a little more mate. Do you defo have all 14 points to start with? 5 chassis, 2 axles, 2 steering, 2 transmission, 2 suspension, 1 engine?

If so, then you will lose 2 for axle and 2 for steering, leaving you with the 10 you mentioned. So, you keep the number AND, because you changed the axle and steering for safety reasons, then technically, accordng to their grey areas, you can still retain 14 points for VHI to get MOT exemption. That's 14 for VHI and 10 for identity. Brakes do not come into it.
    If you have no problem MOTing it, you can just do that and still claim your free road tax.
    Last edited by v8.jimmy; 11-06-2018 at 23:17.

5. Likeskapri liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Ezy
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Mmmmmm, don't really want to say as it's only an opinion / feeling and ****ed off with getting into rows over this crap when all I'm trying to do is help . I know where I see it going, it's all only logical if you keep a finger on the pulse , but it's only the time frame that I'm not sure of.
    Fair play mate. Think we are most likely thinking along the same lines

8. Likesv8.jimmy liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steering mods mean MOT unfortunately . Though may well be for safety reasons it is on the list as substantial change. My Kapri is 8 points compliant but still needs MOT because of the change from box to rack.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steering mods mean MOT unfortunately . Though may well be for safety reasons it is on the list as substantial change. My Kapri is 8 points compliant but still needs MOT because of the change from box to rack.
    correct of course Kev, I forgot that steering was specifically named as a "substantial change". I should have picked up on that before replying to Chitty. I'll get there mate... a bit at a time....

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It IS hardwork to understand even when you are dealing with it regularly

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It IS hardwork to understand even when you are dealing with it regularly
    I know mate, but following on from all the hard work and info supplied by guys like yourself, it's only fair that some of us try to get to grips with it all to be able to offer the same advice as yourself,, but with all the wrong info out there,, we need to be accurate when offering advice. I have many people asking me advice so I best sharpen up as I don't want to be giving out bum steers, especially when I see some of the ****e that people are putting out on facebook. Advice should only be given when supplier of said advice is correct and not just using his/her opinion. There are too many people jumping in on fb, eager to answer somebody's query (which is good) BUT they often don't have a ****ing clue and are giving out very bad advice. It would make a big difference if they added "in my opinion" or "these are my thoughts" but instead they are putting the advice out as gospel. My mistake above needed to be pointed out and I'm grateful for that but some others will simply not accept that they are wrong!
    Even an old boss in a haulage firm once said to me "if you don't know the rules, you wont know how to get round them" lol.
    You have to know how far you can bend something without breaking it
    Last edited by v8.jimmy; 12-06-2018 at 09:21. Reason: fat finger typos as usual

13. Likeskapri, mygasser liked this post
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Although it does mention steering as substantial change (alteration of the type and/or method of suspension or steering). It does mention type and method. That could be interpreted as changing from RHD to LHD still using a steer box ( type )as original . Would I be correct in making this ambiguity work in this instance and not count as a substantial change? I think so?
    Last edited by stevesteve; 12-06-2018 at 10:50.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    type being steering box and method being manual, I think you'd be fine. If it was converted to rack and power it would be a different type and method in my view.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information