Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  23
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    All this would have been easier if someone had proposed 15% power increase or similar ?

Problem was that most thought all this was all about identity and not simply about whether you need an MOT or not.

2. LikesEnglish Impala liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    There's question syou must always ask yourself ( well if you are concerned about it ). I'M NOT ASKING for answers but the answers will set you free .

The first and staring point is really quite simple .

Does the logbook in any way shape or form have any relevance to the registration details ie are you LOOKING at a Red 32B roadster or a Blue 36 Austin pick up ? What you are looking at should match the logbook description.
    IS there away around this? like Q plate, re register. anythig? as there no doubt cars that are not what they say on the tin! failing away around it there could be a lot more garden furniture about.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WB54 View Post
    type being steering box and method being manual, I think you'd be fine. If it was converted to rack and power it would be a different type and method in my view.
    Could be, I.m sure a change form box to rack is a substantial change .Method though in my view when it comes to steering, may be a change from original too like rear wheel / single wheel steer or a host of other methods. My interpretation of method when it comes to steering would be someone turning a steering wheel and not ie.operated by a computer.
    Suspension , well a change in method there could be leaf spring to coil/ air bag / quarter elliptic, etc.etc.
    It must have been planned out like this by the whoever to be as ambiguous as this for a reason . There does not seem to be any definition on these issues as far as I can work out.
    Any thoughts on this Kev?
    Last edited by stevesteve; 12-06-2018 at 14:09.

6. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chitty View Post
    IS there away around this? like Q plate, re register. anythig? as there no doubt cars that are not what they say on the tin! failing away around it there could be a lot more garden furniture about.
    The single way round it is to BIVA the vehicle. However the test is for built not bought ( I hate that bit of inverted snobbery ) . So the person who buys a car is unlikley to be the sort that would strip out down ( as needed for photogrqphic proof for dvsa of self build ).

That's why I always recommend building to BIVA regardless of what type of build ie 8 points etc. At least that way the bulk of stuff is built in. It's all in how you do it rather than additional cost , well other than the test itself.

The bulk of the regs are about safety rather than the nit picking bits that most focus on.

If you were building a racecar to any enter any class they all have regs attached and constant scrutineering.
    Last edited by kapri; 12-06-2018 at 15:40.

8. Likes296moon liked this post
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by v8.jimmy View Post
    To answer that, you'll need to tell a little more mate. Do you defo have all 14 points to start with? 5 chassis, 2 axles, 2 steering, 2 transmission, 2 suspension, 1 engine?

If so, then you will lose 2 for axle and 2 for steering, leaving you with the 10 you mentioned. So, you keep the number AND, because you changed the axle and steering for safety reasons, then technically, accordng to their grey areas, you can still retain 14 points for VHI to get MOT exemption. That's 14 for VHI and 10 for identity. Brakes do not come into it.
    If you have no problem MOTing it, you can just do that and still claim your free road tax.
    Yes all standard with 14 points. Who decides that my claim of changing for safety reasons is valid when there are many standard pops being used on the roads

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steering mods mean MOT unfortunately . Though may well be for safety reasons it is on the list as substantial change. My Kapri is 8 points compliant but still needs MOT because of the change from box to rack.
    I don't have a problem with mot, some of these younger mot testers would probably struggle with the backlash in my steering box anyhow.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The single way round it is to BIVA the vehicle. However the test is for built not bought ( I hate that bit of inverted snobbery ) . So the person who buys a car is unlikley to be the sort that would strip out down ( as needed for photogrqphic proof for dvsa of self build ).

That's why I always recommend building to BIVA regardless of what type of build ie 8 points etc. At least that way the bulk of stuff is built in. It's all in how you do it rather than additional cost , well other than the test itself.

The bulk of the regs are about safety rather than the nit picking bits that most focus on.

If you were building a racecar to any enter any class they all have regs attached and constant scrutineering.
    Thanks Kapri. The car in question was built over 20years ago by a well known rod builder. mag feature, how much of strip down are we talking of? would a body off be ok or more. Sadly this must mean a lot of cars useing old v5s will be off the road! say from a pop on a 28A.... also if they cant pass the biva.
    Last edited by Chitty; 13-06-2018 at 10:15.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information