Likes Likes:  1
+ Reply to Thread
    I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

How hard to BIVA this

Hi all.
    New guy....
    I started a build a few years ago and the rat pickup project got abandoned as they do. One reason was it would have been nigh on impossible to register it going down the "traditional" route I was on, fenderless, suicide front end etc. I ended up selling most everything I had but kept the 33 Austin body and chassis.
    I'm in a better place financially now so have been pondering on the resurrection of it and have been looking at the possibility of a re body. That said, a taxi chassis has a too long wheelbase / shock towers in the way and the Scimitar has i think even higher shock towers. I will gladly be corrected though. Hmmmm..
    I'm wondering if it's possible ( I know all things are ) and what difficulty level would there be to put something along the lines of this pickup rendering that I found through BIVA. PS, It won't be a dually and there won't be the extra chassis sticking out the back.
    Thanks for any ideas you may have and any suggestions would be very gratefully received.
    Cheers.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by PeteRV; 27-06-2019 at 12:16.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perfectly do able . Even much of your original plan was doable ie suicide front etc etc Obviously stuff that doesn't meet C&U STILL won't pass BIVA so you must have cycle fenders but stuff like outside headers etc IS passable ...think Cobra and Lotus 7 . Even open engines can pass IF you are prepared to put in the graft though it is obviously much simpler with a full hood.

If you want a copy of dummies guide to BIVA ,which also details what is needed to get your preferred style of registration then please PM me. I can also send you pictures of SVA / BIVA passed stuff showing what IS actually achievable.
    Last edited by kapri; 27-06-2019 at 13:20.

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Buddy.
    You helped me a bunch last time also.
    Do you have any ideas on a chassis that might work for a re body.....I guess it would be easier doing it that way ?
    Also, what is C&U please.
    Cheers.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    C&U = Constructions and Use Regulations that cover ON ROAD legality rather than registration .

Wheelbase isn't too much of an issue on pickups as you can move the bed / rear arches to suit .

In reality an Austin chassis would be ideal !! LOL You could have updraded brakes and shock plus changed engine box and back axle and still been within 8 points .

The thing with any rebody is ensuring the chassis you are using is already in Historic as original body is a requirement to get into Historic the first time. Lots for sale on Ebay etc that DON'T meet the criteria and so will be refused as a rebody.

High shock towers aren't necessarily any issue , just depends how much they are likely to stick through whih could be resolved with a blister .

Width of the donor chassis is more likley to be an issue as outriggers CANNOT be removed on rebody.

The difference with using BIVA is that you can more or less build what you WANT rather than compromise on a rebody.

Scimitars are suited to SOME bodies rather than every car.
    Last edited by kapri; 27-06-2019 at 15:29.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    My personal recommendation nowdays is to build to BIVA standard regardless of whether it is an 8 point build , a rebody or anything else. 99% of it is HOW you do something and buying a compliant component the first time round .

If you find you have mission creep , or an upsetting letter from DVLA you will be pleased you don't have to go back and redo it all
    Last edited by kapri; 27-06-2019 at 18:08.

8. Likesstu460 liked this post
    I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers Buddy, pm inbound.

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi again.
    Just wondering if you picked up my message re the BIVA manual.
    Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information