Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  1
+ Reply to Thread
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Hypothetical question about car importation

With people moving mega expensive cars around the world a chat in the pub last night had a few of us thinking , so here we go .
    There is a McLaren F1 for sale in the US soon probably going to sell for 19million so if purchased and brought to the UK it will attract import Duty and Vat to allow it to be registered here .
    Once it was on UK plates say a American bought it and shipped it back to the USA and reregistered it say in California no doubt he would pay more duty in the US .
    But if he sold it and it came back to the UK again does the Duty and Vat have to be paid a second time if it’s been previously been registered here ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Lol, must be strong, heady beer down the local to brew this one up.

My totally random tuppence is... Every country change is a new event which incurs the import costs. Previous stuff irrelevant, only looking at what's in front of them.

I'm gonna get me some of that beer tonite
    "I'm not going to take this defeatist attitude and listen to all this crap any more from all these people who have nothing except doomsday to predict."
    Carroll Shelby

Welding Guru
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    My buddy imported a 50th anniversary land rover from japan and was challenging Hmrc on the charges and was told he would get a refund ( he worked for GM in europe and the US so knew a lot about the loopholes for sending vehicles around the globe "for testing"), as he said that charges had already been paid when it was exported, (might be a quirk in how land rover exported it) maybe someone on here knows if this sort of loophole exists.

Stay away from the beer that started this

5. LikesClay Bryant liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kustom Jim View Post
    Lol, must be strong, heady beer down the local to brew this one up.

My totally random tuppence is... Every country change is a new event which incurs the import costs. Previous stuff irrelevant, only looking at what's in front of them.

I'm gonna get me some of that beer tonite

That would be my take on it as well . The charge is for the import of goods PLUS ownership will have changed .It may be different if it remains in the same persons ownership.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets face it.if youre buying a 19 million pound car,youre not going to be too bothered about import duties.

Thats unless the whip round at the pub could only manage the 19
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

Heart of Amerikca
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

BMWi8

I enjoy listening to problems and how they're solved. Not a problem with me but in my case I own one of the 2014 BMWi8 prototype super electrics. It's the one that's Sonic Silver with blue accents if you google them Getting ready to sell it at 18,500. You can stand and look at it from 5 feet and can't tell from the one with motors. They sold just a few in the U.S. What I wanted to share with you is the fact I can ship it anywhere in the world as a used BMWi8 advertising material. Can't be declared as an automobile as it has no vin number and in reality it is what it is, used advertising material. I like odd things. Have an old Audi motorcycle brought from a little village in Italy The really cool piece I have is a Mercedes that runs like a sewing machine because it is. At around 100 years old it looks brand new in Black and Gold with the Tri-Star on it. No garaging problem and would take People's Choice at any car show if you "push it" to the crowd as the most interesting Mercedes there. I know lol On an unrelated suject, if anyone in the crowd knows Bernie Chodish, tell him "Hi" from America. He bought a transport of cars (10) from me many moons ago. As you bloks over there say,"Cheers!" I'm 74 and will probably be heading to that great garage in the sky one of these days but you guys keep active with one another,car people are the best in the world....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information