Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  9
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

I it possible to Return to historic if sent for a BIVA

As title would it be possible to return a car to historic class if the car fell outside the 8 point rule, by replacing enough of the modified components with stock items to bring it back inside the permitted the 8 point rule, or does the car have to go through a biva , and meet the required criteria, thanks for any replies

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    No one has attempted it so unknown . However , once they have decided your vehicle doesn't meet the criteria the right to registration ( ie the logbook) is removed and made void at the same time as they advise you have to go for BIVA.

It MAY be possible to re-register it via Reconstructed Classic class but I don't know if that is possible for certain.

Personally I tend to advise people to build in BIVA spec when you are modifying , even within 8 points . Most of it isn't a problem , is a good safe build spec and 99% doesn't cost more than NOT doing it to BIVA ie just buy the right spec piece when you are modifying first time around.

Biggest issue is always the requirement for a laminated and correctly marked front screen . Mostly they can be manufacture or export spec may carry correct markings.

Do the home work first ( if concerned) to avoid the problem

Grown up? Never!
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Morning,
    I’ve looked into this myself and as Kev said no one has done it, but…
    At the time of being ‘visited’ it would be easier to convince them to just suspend the V5c and get it done ASAP, as I think once it’s gone it’s gone. If it’s touch and go on the points the inspectors are human and not out to get ‘you’ so worth a try.
    But my advice would be to put it back to 8 point compliant before you get that visit.

Chaley
    And on the 6th day Man created god.
    Tetanus

5. Likeskapri liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was just about to say the same thing Chaley . There is a process which is preceeded by paperwork , if that starts to happen don't hope for the best, don't start the ball rolling plan for the worse and get it sorted.

I do know of a ac VW type 3 that had the issue of a chassis notch raised at MOT time and it required further inspection ...by which time it was unlowered and chassis area remade.
    Last edited by kapri; 15-06-2019 at 10:43.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wise words from Kev as usual (you too Chaley lol).

Interesting question mind and would be great to see an event like that happen.

Anyhoo, as another one of my asides
    Biva is just an option (maybe appears the toughest but has highest reward!) if log book reg number torn up!?
    Scrap, banger race, race car or as said if poss restore to 8 point!! Let's face it some big resto Jobs have little original uncut metal left etc.

And as Chaley says and also the most important thing can be to avoid the inspection!! If you're so inclined. Many things can trigger an inspection I understand, back track or say you're in Venezuela for a year and cars at the bottom of a lake!?

Or head down and channel energy to Biva build
    Unless it's a roof chopped MK1 Lotus Cortina with a restored value of £50 grand
    "I'm not going to take this defeatist attitude and listen to all this crap any more from all these people who have nothing except doomsday to predict."
    Carroll Shelby

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    I do know of a ac VW type 3 that had the issue of a chassis notch raised at MOT time and it required further inspection ...by which time it was unlowered and chassis area remade.
    Outside of the tester's remit, shirley?
    50 shades of grey primer....

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mattblack View Post
    Not if he felt the work caused danger or weakened the chassis .

There was a period when testers were advising " Vehicle is highly modified " as well.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice guys , I keep thinking about getting a hot rod and iam drawn to the 50s and 60s builds, so if I do take the plunge one day i will do what you advise , and bring it back into the 8 point rule before getting caught,

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by john123 View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys , I keep thinking about getting a hot rod and iam drawn to the 50s and 60s builds, so if I do take the plunge one day i will do what you advise , and bring it back into the 8 point rule before getting caught,

Can i ask who youre going to get caught by.

Biva is up to you to put yourself forward for it. No one is actively looking for you
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mattblack View Post
    So it wasn't snagged because it was modified, it was snagged for the same reason it would have been if the chassis rail had been 'repaired' with chicken wire and bondo... that puts a different slant on things.
    50 shades of grey primer....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information