I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Keeping my F100 Historic Status HELP PLEASE

HELP!!!

My truck has :-
    original chassis........................5 points
    original type engine and box.....3 points

But I have fitted a Jag XJS front cross member with servo assisted disc brakes, rack and pinion power steering and of course Jag suspension.

I registered it before I did any of this work.

So does it still keep it's historic status as it has 8 points, or does the change to front suspension and steering mean it has been radically altered and I need to pay road tax?

I'm starting to think that I should put the original front axle back in - it took bloody ages to get the XJS parts in

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    LEGALLY your truck is no longer entitled to its registration OR Historic status. nor VHI MOT exemption.

It's not a simple as just paying road tax. As you jhave modifie dthe vehicle so much that DVLA class it as a new vehicle.

To get a new vehicle registered you need an Approval Certificate which is issued after it has passed a BIVA group N1 test ( cost £450).

It WON'T pass because it hasn't ben prepared to pass.

So you have two options keep quiet and hope that it never comes to light .If it does they will remove your right to registration and you will have to undergo BIVA.

The other option is to slowly prepare it to BIVA spec whilst still enjoying it .

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    is it the jag front cross member that means it does not have the 5 points for chassis kev?
    Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i defer to Kevs knowledge..... here's the official linky... https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registrat...tered-vehicles

you say 'original type' of engine... is that a like for like replacement of the original, or a modern v8 for an old v8? changing a flatty for a twin turbo LS7 doesn't count!

and it matters HOW the front axle was fitted... was anything cut on the original chassis to get the jag crossmember in?? has an original cross member been removed? is the Jag bolted or welded in?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thisYup View Post
    i defer to Kevs knowledge..... here's the official linky... https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registrat...tered-vehicles

you say 'original type' of engine... is that a like for like replacement of the original, or a modern v8 for an old v8? changing a flatty for a twin turbo LS7 doesn't count!

and it matters HOW the front axle was fitted... was anything cut on the original chassis to get the jag crossmember in?? has an original cross member been removed? is the Jag bolted or welded in?
    Even if bolted in it is considered a subframe extension and thus a change to original chassis parameters.

I covered this with DVLA years back when trying to sort a monster truck for someone that had used subframes thinking he was keeping it legal .
    Last edited by kapri; 09-06-2020 at 22:03.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by F100pete View Post
    HELP!!!

My truck has :-
    original chassis........................5 points
    original type engine and box.....3 points

But I have fitted a Jag XJS front cross member with servo assisted disc brakes, rack and pinion power steering and of course Jag suspension.

I registered it before I did any of this work.

So does it still keep it's historic status as it has 8 points, or does the change to front suspension and steering mean it has been radically altered and I need to pay road tax?

I'm starting to think that I should put the original front axle back in - it took bloody ages to get the XJS parts in
    just my personal opinion you see , but id keep quiet as kapri said and not tell the world about your predicament !

9. Likesblackpopracing liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Am I correct in thinking that it'd be okay if the mods were carried out pre SVA (98 ish?) and it's still be MOT exempt if the mods had been carried out 30+ years ago?

Have DVLA/DVSA ever asked for proof of when modifications were carried out in such cases. I can see a demand for buckets of rusty imperial nuts and bolts and spray cans of road dirt...

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    In a lot of cases it actually shows on the V5C when the changes were made.
    Mine, for example, shows the first registration date as 1955 and in the notes at the bottom it shows the build date as 1985.

12. Likeskapri liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by manxdavid View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that it'd be okay if the mods were carried out pre SVA (98 ish?) and it's still be MOT exempt if the mods had been carried out 30+ years ago?

Have DVLA/DVSA ever asked for proof of when modifications were carried out in such cases. I can see a demand for buckets of rusty imperial nuts and bolts and spray cans of road dirt...
    What they do is remove the right to registration and then the onus is on YOU to prove otherwise.

You are correct that ( at least so far in the past with vehicles I have dealt with) vehicles proved to have been modified pre SVA 1998 and post 1985 ( formalisation of 8 point rule) have ,with satisfactory proof , simply been issued a Q without undergoing a BIVA test PROVIDING DVLA were notified of chnages at the time.

Whilst the only thing in the way of changes notifiable via their changes section is engine it is obvious on say a Pop that sticking in even a Pinto is not going to end well, or even be possible, without upgrades to other components .

However that only holds true for vehicles that are still what they are ie a Pop is STILL a Pop but if it had become a B roadster then an large offence would more than likley have been commited.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information