New MOT regs
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

 
Likes Likes:  36
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 83

Thread: New MOT regs

  1. #1
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    231
    Images
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    roymck is offline

    New MOT regs

    Under the new unthought out MOT regs they state a dangerous fail cannot be driven away from the testing station. So you get it recovered home and fix it can it be driven back for a retest as until it passes the test it has what is effectively a prohibition against being used on the road.
    Also a oil leak is now a fail , how bad does a leak have to be . Is a drip a leak

  2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    American Truck importer v8.jimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bo'ness, Central Scotland
    Posts
    11,383
    Images
    4796
    Post Thanks / Like
    v8.jimmy is offline
    These are good questions Roy, I can't answer fully but can give a theory.
    Both of these things have been in force with HGV MOTs for ages. The oil leak was "a reasonable amount of oil leaking within a reasonable time". They tended to take this as about an old 50p size on the floor during the course of the test.
    In recent years, if an HGV failed on a safety item like a loose caliper or serious air leak, the vehicle was not allowed to be driven away and had to be recovered. However, I don't think they actually put a PG9 prohibition on it as it WAS allowed to be driven back after being repaired.
    I had a car MOTd the other day and asked my tester about this and he agreed that he could see problem arising, e.g. "who the **** are you to tell me I can't drive my car home!!" "how are you going to stop me?"
    Last edited by v8.jimmy; 02-05-2018 at 07:23.

  4. Likesmagneto, tuckers liked this post
  5. #3
    Off the Xmas card list kapri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    22,830
    Images
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    kapri is online now
    To best of my knowledge it has always been the case that a car with a 'dangerous defect' ( red fail sheet) wasn't supposed to be driven away?

  6. Likeschaley liked this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  8. #4
    Official RnS Addict WB54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    4,560
    Images
    195
    Post Thanks / Like
    WB54 is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by v8.jimmy View Post
    These are good questions Roy, I can't answer fully but can give a theory.
    Both of these things have been in force with HGV MOTs for ages. The oil leak was "a reasonable amount of oil leaking within a reasonable time". They tended to take this as about an old 50p size on the floor during the course of the test.
    In recent years, if an HGV failed on a safety item like a loose caliper or serious air leak, the vehicle was not allowed to be driven away and had to be recovered. However, I don't think they actually put a PG9 prohibition on it as it WAS allowed to be driven back after being repaired.
    I had a car MOTd the other day and asked my tester about this and he agreed that he could see problem arising, e.g. "who the **** are you to tell me I can't drive my car home!!" "how are you going to stop me?"
    to the last point, it's not the MOT stations responsibility to shop people for driving with no MOT. If they start calling the law they bring a whole heap of **** on themselves. They'll do their bit by failing it, its then up to the owner to decide whether to recover or break the law. the MOT station won't want a failed car stuck on it's ramp or in it's yard, so the reality is a dangerous fail will get driven home unless the testing station offers to repair it.

  9. Likestuckers liked this post
  10. #5
    Official RnS Addict scottie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Resin City
    Posts
    3,946
    Images
    1321
    Post Thanks / Like
    scottie is online now
    it doesnt actually say that the excact words are "Do not drive the vehicle until it’s been repaired"

    while a major fail says "Repair it immediately"

    in some peoples eye they could both mean the same thing

  11. #6
    American Truck importer v8.jimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bo'ness, Central Scotland
    Posts
    11,383
    Images
    4796
    Post Thanks / Like
    v8.jimmy is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by WB54 View Post
    to the last point, it's not the MOT stations responsibility to shop people for driving with no MOT. If they start calling the law they bring a whole heap of **** on themselves. They'll do their bit by failing it, its then up to the owner to decide whether to recover or break the law. the MOT station won't want a failed car stuck on it's ramp or in it's yard, so the reality is a dangerous fail will get driven home unless the testing station offers to repair it.
    na, he didn't say anything about shopping people Phil, but it appears it is his responsibilty to tell the owner he can't drive it home. At least that's how he's read it but he wil be telling them "you shouldn't drive it home" and leave it to him.
    and of course you're correct in that it will either be left for repair or driven home

  12. #7
    Official RnS Addict
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,082
    Images
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    fogey is offline
    With a dangerous fail on a crap car I can see some owners saying to the garage that they aren't paying to recover it and the garage will be stuck with . . .

  13. #8
    American Truck importer v8.jimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bo'ness, Central Scotland
    Posts
    11,383
    Images
    4796
    Post Thanks / Like
    v8.jimmy is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by fogey View Post
    With a dangerous fail on a crap car I can see some owners saying to the garage that they aren't paying to recover it and the garage will be stuck with . . .
    As long as they leave the V5 I'll go round collecting them and recycling them lol

  14. #9
    Official RnS Addict timbo56's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    S E London
    Posts
    839
    Images
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    timbo56 is offline
    Even under the current regs we can mark an advisory or failure as dangerous so nothing has changed, just the way it's administered. I've not heard of refusing to let a car drive away that has a dangerous defect, where does it say that?
    As for the fluid leak it's the same as for HGVs in that it's as follows

    A leak of fluids such as engine coolant, screen wash and fluid required for Selective Catalyst Reduction aren't reasons for failure. You should fail a vehicle if a fluid leak creates a pool on the floor within 5 minutes that's more than 75mm in diameter or if there are many leaks which collectively leak fluid at the same rate.

    You can refuse to carry out the test if there's an excessive fluid leak. For details see item 4 in the 'Introduction' of this inspection manual.

    Defect Category
    Fluid:
    leaking excessively and likely to harm the environment or to pose a safety risk to other road users
    Major
    leaking continuously and likely to pose a serious risk to road safety
    Dangerous

  15. Likestuckers liked this post
  16. #10
    American Truck importer v8.jimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bo'ness, Central Scotland
    Posts
    11,383
    Images
    4796
    Post Thanks / Like
    v8.jimmy is offline
    It's what his local DVSA spot check man said.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. New MOT regs
      By kapri in forum On Topic
      Replies: 55
      Last Post: 07-04-2016, 18:58
    2. New MOT regs?
      By Javabob in forum On Topic
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 19-07-2010, 21:38
    3. Vectra New mot
      By capriac in forum Vehicles - FOR SALE
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 25-06-2010, 16:42
    4. '94 GMC Sierra Pickup - 5.7 V8 - New MOT
      By joe32roadster in forum Vehicles - FOR SALE
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 20-03-2010, 19:02
    5. Replies: 2
      Last Post: 22-05-2009, 12:22

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may post new threads
    • You may post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •