Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Summons for riding a stand up electric scooter

A friend of mine was stopped for riding a Stand up style Electrified scooter . It didn’t belong to him he was just trying it out as a laugh . He has been summonsed for amongst other things for having no insurance .
    He thinks his defence is .. It is not a Motor vehicle , if they say and prove that it is under the appropriate laws and guidance which I am sure they will then he has a insurance policy that covers him to ride and drive any vehicle that is loaned to him .
    So what do you think , If they say it is a vehicle then he has insurance , if it’s not a vehicle he doesn’t need insurance . There is no mention on his insurance document about the legality of any vehicle , just that it must belong to somebody else .

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    These have always needed insurance , just like go peds etc . However I read something the other day about them trying to legalise them( electric scooters ) to encourage people to use them to go to work.

I BELIEVE the can drive any other vehicle clause only operates if there is already a policy in effect covering the vehicle. The clause just allows you to use it as a ' additional driver' type way .

Whether it is a vehicle requiring insurance is usually based on its top speed. For instance a 4mph mobility scooter doesn't need insurance but an 8 mph scooter DOES need insurance.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Electric scooters are defined as "powered transporters", and are covered by the same laws that apply to motor vehicles.

The vehicles are available to buy online and in stores, but riders face a £300 fixed-penalty notice and six points on their driving licence for using them on the road or pavement. "

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51375903

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It looks VERY likely that they will soon be made legal .

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a9306121.html

I'd take proper legal advice but it may be possible to delay the case until after they become legal . Don't know if they would want to push for prosecution then ?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Despite their increasing popularity around the world, electric scooters have remained essentially illegal in the UK because of the country’s preexisting laws. These laws categorize electric scooters as motor vehicles, but because scooters can’t pass the same safety and legal regulations as cars they’re illegal to use on public roads. Since they’re motorized, they’re also illegal to use on the sidewalk under the 1835 Highway Act."

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/15/2...ansport-review

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently they need to be insured to be used on the road but because they don't pass safety regs you can't register them to be able to insure them.

Looks like the charge and penalty will be for using on road rather than riding on the pavement ? Looks like the only possible way out currently is if it is being used on private land , or land that comes other someone elses juristiction. Unfortunately with DVLA the road also covers verge and pavement ( ex- wife used to prosecute for them hence why I know ).

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post

I BELIEVE the can drive any other vehicle clause only operates if there is already a policy in effect covering the vehicle. The clause just allows you to use it as a ' additional driver' type way .

Whether it is a vehicle requiring insurance is usually based on its top speed. For instance a 4mph mobility scooter doesn't need insurance but an 8 mph scooter DOES need insurance.
    Hi Kev , the insurance issue for driving other cars issues . You can drive a uninsured car as long as it’s not your vehicle and as long as your insurance covers you for this event . It was an issue a few years ago when ANPR cameras picked up uninsured cars and the police weren’t happy at the time as drivers were insured but not the cars . Many times on those rubbish Ch4 police chase car crash programs the police have stopped a car as it flagged up as not insured but when the drivers reply that it’s not there car they ask the driver for there own car registration number and check the guys insurance to see if he has driving other cars on there own car policy and if so let them on there way.
    Just a note though that the insurance is only for third party risk . And the car is only covered whilst you are driving it . Park outside a shop and pop in leaving the car on the kerb it’s not insured and can be towed away .
    I believe it used to be true and maybe still is that Hagerty on there Classic car insurance cover you to drive another Hagerty insured classic owned by another party for fully comp risks .

So going back to my friend he is pretty sure that allowing the police to prove in court a scooter is a motorised vehicle they will have no defence if he can provide insurance for any motorised vehicle .

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you check the fine print of any insurance policy that states you are covered for driving other vehicles you will find that it MUST be insured by the owner. Your policy will just cover you for driving that vehicle but it must be covered by the owner. If your scenario of driving other vehicles even if they don’t have a policy in place were true then there’d be a lot of owners of some very expensive sports cars out there with an insurance policy on a hatchback that covers them for driving any vehicle and off they go having saved thousands on their sports car insurance.
    This is why the scooters aren’t insured and are currently uninsurable as an unregistered vehicle. Restrict them to 4mph and they’d be usable but their current speeds don’t allow it.

11. Likeskapri liked this post
    Welding Guru
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Common sense applied once again by the authorities.
    If he is screwed and it looks he may be then i would get some sort of satisfaction from dragging it through the courts but being mindful of having to pay costs.
    For example the DVLA charged my eldest son with not making his old car sorn and he challenged this until it ended up in court. He opted to defend himself and read up on the applicable laws and test cases and actually offered the prosecution a deal to settle the case and admit partial liability on the day of the hearing. This was refused so he ended up stood in court, he explained how he had tried to settle the case and save the courts valuable time but the offer was refused by the prosecution representative. He stated he had posted the sorn document and stated a date and approximate time (before it was all online) this was challenged by the prosecution and he stated he did not had to prove he did post it but it was the duty of the prosecution to prove that he hadnt. The court found in his favour and remonstrated with the prosecution for refusing a settlement, and he then had the cheek to ask for costs which he got in the form of travel expenses and not time off work.
    He stood his ground did some research and took a chance on the court being sensible on that day. We all celebrated at home because it was a great win for a 22yr old against the system. He has been an argumentative bugger (when he thinks he is right) all his days and it paid off on this occasion.
    I would recommend your mate to do his research and stand his ground

13. Likeskapri, mygasser, chevrolet50 liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    It looks VERY likely that they will soon be made legal .

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a9306121.html

I'd take proper legal advice but it may be possible to delay the case until after they become legal . Don't know if they would want to push for prosecution then ?
    I suspect the government may just wait this out, as a fad these are failing already with the largest company scrapping thousands of new scooters...

https://techcrunch.com/2020/06/02/bi...HxTliAdAMDOXW3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information