Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  20
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    Nobody - My understanding is that BIVA can cover anything that doesn’t have an DVLA registration history.

E.g. If you break the 8 point rule, then the old donor car no longer exists (in the eyes of the DVLA) and a ‘new’ car must be tested.

Kit cars like Caterham and Westfield are effectively just a collection of parts to begin with, not a ‘real’ car.

Only after they are assembled (correctly) and tested do they become a ‘new’ car with a new registration number.

As far as I know…
    ( Note - Kapri, English Impala & BlackPopRacing will know more. )

There is no reason why parts that you have made in your shop could not be used in a BIVA build.

And let’s be honest, you make things to a higher standard than most OEM car companies.

Again, as far as I know the 'Locost' types of kit car expect builders to make their chassis at home from plans and they can pass BIVA.

Hope that helps, Paul.

but you can buya kitcar chassis already made that then go through biva.

I do build here to biva.but I only build what im asked to.most of the stuff is irelivant,or its done as a matter of coarse.most is chassis work and interior work.everything underneath is clipped and routed properly.i very rare get involved in the outside ie body work.

Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    It comes up as abig no no because people don't check facts

It's all about the AMATEUR side of it .

Even though the kit is bought it is still assembled by an amateur .

If the kit is totally factory assembled then it must go through NIVA ( which requires modern spec engines amongst a slightly harder test).

I have no first hand on putting a rodshop built vehicle though but it should be possible if the owner has say stripped painted and reassembled the running gear himself with the photographic proof of that .

Buying a running car and trying to put it through is also a no no . Firstly it wouldn't be built to pass and secondly there will be no photograhic proof of the owners input .

If we go way back in time before even SVA and before VAT Lotus used to have a way to save paying purchase tax by selling their vehicle for home assembly. This actually consisted of fitting the ignition switch and associated wiring . DVLA got wise and made the requirements harder.
    but just about everything purchased from here is taken home,taken apart,and reassembled by an amature.im still an amature,**** being a pro.

kit car company,s at some point have to assemble complete cars to make sure everything fits,and they must sell them on,to be put through biva by others.

no different then than having a rodshop build you a car
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your builds Wayne would be fine as they are finished off by the owners. If you built a finished turnkey rod it would not be fine.
    It's allowable to commission a chassis builder to build your chassis etc as not everyone can make their own - but the chassis builder should build to the customers designs/requirements.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    but just about everything purchased from here is taken home,taken apart,and reassembled by an amature.im still an amature,**** being a pro.

kit car company,s at some point have to assemble complete cars to make sure everything fits,and they must sell them on,to be put through biva by others.

no different then than having a rodshop build you a car

Only one way to be certain

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpopracing View Post
    Your builds Wayne would be fine as they are finished off by the owners. If you built a finished turnkey rod it would not be fine.
    It's allowable to commission a chassis builder to build your chassis etc as not everyone can make their own - but the chassis builder should build to the customers designs/requirements.
    Everything I've ever done is to the owners design/requirements

To dumb for my own ideas
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Only one way to be certain
    I've built cars to biva specs.well the bits I've needed to.what owners do after they leave here is not my concern.

My next pop build in is going through biva.
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

7. Likeschoppedblownpop liked this post
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    Everything I've ever done is to the owners design/requirements

To dumb for my own ideas

I've built cars to biva specs.well the bits I've needed to.what owners do after they leave here is not my concern.

My next pop build in is going through biva.
    Have to make sure you smooth off that badge as, y'know, it could kill someone

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by willkauffman View Post
    This sort of stuff is what I thought it was about, ya know, blokes in white coats x- raying welds to see if it was up to spec,
    "Radius" that rear view mirror, it could kill you etc.
    I think most of it will depend if " the tester" has had a row with his wife before leaving home if it passes or not

68RR

10. LikesTorment liked this post
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarv8 View Post
    This sort of stuff is what I thought it was about, ya know, blokes in white coats x- raying welds to see if it was up to spec,
    I think most of it will depend if " the tester" has had a row with his wife before leaving home if it passes or not

68RR
    It's why I can't help but think it is a bit of a joke really... rounded bumpers or not getting hit by any part of a car f*cking hurts and 2.5mm of radius isn't going to save you from several square feet of front end.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarv8 View Post

68RR
    Nope, there's fully laid down spec to comply with unlike the MOT where a lot is subjective. If a piece of trim sticks ups from the body more than 'x' then it must have 'y' radius , nice and simple .

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's why I can't help but think it is a bit of a joke really... rounded bumpers or not getting hit by any part of a car f*cking hurts and 2.5mm of radius isn't going to save you from several square feet of front end.
    But as with all thing Governmental it has to be quantifiable or someone will take the ****.

After all it was this test or **** all way to build legally

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    While it's easy to take the **** Will, you fundamentally have not really grasped what BIVA is about.

It does indeed seem a bit petty in places, but if you were hit by a car at say 20mph then of course it would bloody hurt. BUT......if that car has radiused bits on it you might get away with heavy bruising and some grazes where you landed on the road.

But if you got hit by a car with some sharp edges that same 20 mph hit may well rip your leg/arm wide open which could quite possibly have lethal consequences.

Which car would you rather get hit by - a 1960's Caddy or a 2019 Mondeo? One you would possibly walk away from and one would definitely leave you in hospital.

Extreme examples, but that is what BIVA is about - protecting pedestrians and passengers alike. If you bothered to read the manual properly you would soon understand its actually pretty easy to get most cars through with only minor modifications to most parts.
    Last edited by blackpopracing; 03-12-2019 at 19:48. Reason: spelling

15. Likeskapri, 29stude, mygasser, ivanhoew, drseg liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information