Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

We win!!! new regs formalised!

3K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  woofy 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Even laid in me pitt after a night shift I was genuinely chuffed and felt like a quick boogie!!

Great that we all got stuck in and made things happen and happily reassured the gubberment does listen (again).

#6 ·
Yep, we won!!!

Emissions approval - kit cars (Basic IVA) (Q16)
In response to the strong opposition to our proposal to tighten the rules for kit car emissions, the Department will not implement this aspect of the proposal.
We have taken this decision after reflecting on the evidence and noting that kit cars are a small proportion of the fleet, cover a low annual mileage and are rarely used in town centres where air quality issues exist.
Therefore kit cars submitted for IVA will continue to be subject to an MOT-style emissions test, using the current criteria in the IVA manual around engine build/first use date.

Power to the people!

Thankyou to all who bothered to respond - to those that did not, don't assume others will always fight for you.

#15 ·
Hell, only a couple of thousand replies after all. I stuck it on my facebook page, got called a scaremonger amongst other things, yet my post had over 37000 viewers and over a hundred shares. I would have expected more than a couple pf thousand replies just from guys reading my post...... just goes to show........ but, as Paul says, thank fuck that couple of thousand made a difference. Thanks of course to Kev who spotted the DFT trying to push this one through quietly and quickly, or else a lot, including myself, would have missed it.

#17 · (Edited)
Brilliant result, but maybe the people directly affected is very small, and if the average number responded then it does seem like the numbers needed to sway a decision can be surprisingly small.

How Big a Sample Do I Need?
Using the chart below, select your approximate target population, then choose your margin of error to estimate the number of completed surveys you'll require.

Now that you have your numbers from Step #1 and Step #2 check out this handy chart below to figure out how big a sample you'll need…

Margin of Error Confidence Level
Population 10% 5% 1% 90% 95% 99%
100 50 80 99 74 80 88
500 81 218 476 176 218 286
1,000 88 278 906 215 278 400
10,000 96 370 4,900 264 370 623
100,000 96 383 8,763 270 383 660
1,000,000+ 97 384 9,513 271 384 664

Note: These are intended as rough guidelines only. Also, for populations of more than 1 million you might want to round up slightly to the nearest hundred.

How Responsive Will People Be?
We're sorry to say that not everybody you send your survey to will fill it out.

The percentage of people who do actually fill out a survey that they receive is known as the "response rate". Estimating your response rate will help you determine the total number of surveys you'll need to send out to obtain the required number of completed surveys.

Response rates vary widely depending on a number of factors such as the relationship with your target audience, survey length and complexity, incentives, and topic of your survey. For online surveys in which there is no prior relationship with recipients, a response rate of between 20-30% is considered to be highly successful. A response rate of 10-15% is a more conservative and a safer guess if you haven't surveyed your population before.

This part's easy!

Just divide the number you got from Step #3 by the number you got from Step #4. That's your magic number.

So, for example, if you need 100 women who use shampoo to fill out your survey and you think about 10% of these shampoo-using women that you send the survey to will actually fill it out, then you need to send it to 100/10% women - 1000!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/mp/sample-size/

PS Looks like the chart bit didn't paste properly, so maybe check out the site.

#18 ·
Actually you are all right, the low but effective response is dumbfounding considering how much it went viral.
And how many kin thousands of enthusiasts there are who should at least support issues even if they think it will not effect them.

2184 voted positively this time. Just checked the VHI Mot Consultation thing and 2081 voted 'positively' on that one.

Looks like we only have a hard core of 2000 troops keeping our cultural privilege alive.

Still, better to have a pro active group this size than a much larger group of self interested, back biting, miserable short term fashion gold chainer cunts dragging us down.

Preserve Hot Rodding, chop up a stocker.

#21 ·
Well done to those who alerted us to this little bit of sneaky legislation, and indeed well done to all that took the time to reply. Whilst on the one hand there was relatively few replies, virtually all of them were against the change and at least the Government took notice and acted on the replies received. It is an unfortunate truth that whilst many have an opinion so few can actually be bothered to do something. There is a lesson here, again thanks to all.

#24 ·
totally agree with you on that mate, but it stil stands that my own business facebook page, which is a car and truck page only, had over 37000 viewers and you'd have to assume that almost 100% are car people, or want to be, so should have taken a few mins to act to save the future. Too many in the modified car culture thought that IVA was only for new cars and kit cars and probably thought "fuck it, I don't do new or kit", not realisisng that such a high amount of modifieds really should go for BIVA if we're totally honest about it, especially in the Yank pickups market where near everybody wants to lay frame lol. BUT, even if they didn't think it involved them, they should still have taken a few minutes to help the people who would be affected as it's all part of the car scene in one way or another. We all need to stick together where legislation threatens the car hobby as each "interest group" is relatively small, but together we are a force to be heard!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.