Forgot your password?
Forgot your username?
Chat in the 'Virtual' Pub, reminisce in the History Archive, mooch around projects in The Garage or maybe participate in a bit of Tech.
Why not register and give it a try. Did we mention it was FREE ???
Post a reply to the thread: my big cresta project
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces)
You may choose an icon for your message from this list
Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Where you live, Town\City\County etc.
Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.
Will turn www.example.com into [URL]http://www.example.com[/URL].
The bonnet ornament on mine was from the e-series cresta and like yours followed the curve or the bonnet nicely. Thanks for the info on the springs, but I've already ordered a pair from the owners club. There's a place not too far from here in Darlington who make springs, they did my rear leafs, had the original drawings still. If the new ones make the front sit too high I may see if they can do some lower, stiffer ones
Hi Gary , sadly when my PA was scrapped the slots went with it even though I asked for them to be lefted behind, I believe that Merc 190 springs fit Cresta`s Jez (dig these feet ) had some fitted to his PB when he put the SBC in his.
Is that bonnet orniment the same as the one on my PB ?, I have only seen another 1 before and that was on a PA, I found mine by accident on ebay not sure what it was off but liked the look of it and it fitted on the ridge of the bonnet perfect.
Thanks for the comments guys. Dave, I like the stance too but the front wheels catch the arches as the springs are a bit soft. I'm going to fit a new set so I hope that doesn't raise it too much.
I like the slots on yours, mine used to have dished slots on the rear and the flatter ones on the front but I've managed to lose one of the dished ones some time in last 15 years and couldn't find a replacement.
Thats nice, great job well done, love the stance with the torque thrust wheels, shame I let my PA rot away but happy with my PB.
I was lucky with the PB as it was sound underneath and had never been welded.
My PA back in the 80s
The PB at present
Looking really good Andy - I bet you're glad you started it again after loosing your momentum with it. Something to be proud of and enjoy being behind the wheel of
Credit to you. The car looks very nice.
Nice job on the car looks great. Andy
Very Nice indeed Good work well done
Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated I'll have this thread up to date this evening.
Painting the car was next job after a bit of filling and sanding and sanding and sanding and filling and sanding etc etc....and this was something I'd never done before (other than using rattle cans).
Lots of reading, talking to people and watching youtube videos convinced me I should have a go so I bought some epoxy primer, high build primer, an HVLP gun, air fed mask, and booked some time in the spray booth at the North East Restoration Club where I'm a member. This was the result
More sanding and sanding and I put on the top coats. Here, I learned from the experience of priming where I couldn't get the gun under the sills easily by doing the roof first, then lifting the car on axle stands to do the sills properly
The result wasn't particularly impressive.
Hoping to improve the finish from the gun I thought I'd try flatting it and polishing it. I made the mistake of going on holiday for a couple weeks after painting and then read that I should have sanded it sooner because it hardens.
Never mind, I set to work with 1200 wet and dry then 2000. I then got hold of a polishing kit (Auto Finesse) and went over the car again. How people do this for a living I don't know, god but its hard work. Still it came out pretty well I thought.
A few weeks of putting all the trim on, scratching and chipping the paint every time I so much as looked at it too hard and the car was ready for wiring. A rebel wire kit went in quite easily after clarifying a couple of points and the car was ready for the MOT. An advise on the front wheel bearings (new ones, just needed tightening a little) an a fail on the handbrake (I'd forgot to adjust it) were the only problems. With those sorted the car was finally on the road and although it's not the Kustom I'd originally planned, I am really pleased with how it looks.
It is still far from finished, the interior needs doing and I need to fit solenoids to lock the doors and open the boot and the panels don't all fit as good they should. Also the carb is need of work and the front springs are a bit too soft, the front wheels catch on the arches sometimes and there's a load of little jobs which seem to be never-ending but I can drive it and that's the main thing.
Terms and Conditions