StormFighter - Reply to Topic
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

 

Reply to Thread

Post a reply to the thread: StormFighter

Your Message

 

Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces)

You may choose an icon for your message from this list

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Additional Options

  • Will turn www.example.com into [URL]http://www.example.com[/URL].

Topic Review (Newest First)

  • 05-10-2019, 06:48
    legendlives
    The wiring on the bike was horrendous, with such electrical atrocities such as this:



    And these:



    I'm not afraid of wiring, but when a complete, unblemished loom came up on a 'local auction site' for $30NZ delivered (that's about 15 quid) it had to be done.
    It's now waiting in the wings (or more accurately on a shelf) to be fitted:



    Do you remember that sexy seat base I made/modified? Well, it occurred to me that it might need more than my bulk to hold it in place, so made these and riveted/bonded them to the seat base:



    These go down the side of the subframe and attach to the (now redundant) top pillion peg mounts:



    I've got to mod the fairing slightly to miss the bolts.

    Just in case they aren't enough there's now this:



    Which will attach the seat by a single bolt through the bum pad.
  • 20-08-2019, 22:32
    mygasser
    if you made the bottom hose from ally then a) it would look nicer and b) it would help cool the motor due to better heat transfer (especially if you added some ally fins too)
    consider it a challenge to make that tortuous route in ally pipe
    neil.
  • 20-08-2019, 20:50
    legendlives
    Starting with a couple of these 2" Stainless 180's:



    I started to join the 'new' cans to the original system.
    First attempt looked OK



    until viewed from above where it kicked out like a dog's hind leg



    Out with the grinder and welder again, and after an hour or so of swearing, beating and welding:





    That's better!

    Both pipes are now finish-welded, and my god she's got a fat arse!



  • 12-08-2019, 23:44
    legendlives
    You may have noticed on the seat unit I didn't weld up the sides:



    Here's the reason:



    The shape resembles number boards. They will have a grille epoxied to the inside (liberated from a waste-paper bin).



    With the seat unit in white, the grilles black and everything behind them blacked out I think it should look good, with the added bonus of letting heat/air out/in.





  • 11-08-2019, 21:57
    legendlives
    Now that the radiator lives under the seat, the hoses need to be pointed in the right direction.
    Top hose was easy. The thermostat housing used to point forwards



    But now, thanks to it's symmetrical bolt pattern it points in the right direction. Also in this pic you'll see the original short bottom hose which fits the housing perfectly and the angles on it miss everything and point the hose where it should be.



    With the help of a couple of turned joiners



    the hose now runs by the rear cylinder head, and up the rear subframe to the rad:





    Bottom hose uses a silicone bend and another joiner



    And a slightly more torturous route to the rad:



    It's less pretty than the top hose, but still better than having those ugly radiators hung on the side.
  • 06-08-2019, 21:09
    legendlives

    Somewhere to sit.....

    The seat base is made from the front section of the original FireStorm seat base with an aluminium construction forming the new sides and bum pad.



    I've extended the side 'skirts' down to fill the gap and better follow the line of the Fireblade seat fairing:



    These will need more shaping and forming to fit as I want, but it's a fair start. They are welded to the new bum pad which should give everything more strength. Talking of aluminium welding, there's quite a bit of it:



    Now that the seat base is made I can continue to shape this and the tail section together which should result in an almost 'factory' look when it's finished.

  • 06-08-2019, 00:59
    legendlives
    Out with the grinder and the plastic welder to fit the Fireblade single seat hump permanently to the Fireblade seat fairing, then slop on some filler:



    All of the mounts for the seat fairing have now been added to the subframe.
    Currently making the seat base so that I can get the shapes of base and fairing to look like they belong together!
  • 27-07-2019, 00:52
    legendlives
    A quick rework of the shroud thingy with recesses for the indicators and a bit more material added to the sides:





    And back to the under-seat radiator conversion, this has now grown mount tabs for the rad and threaded tabs to mount the fan:



    Which all looks very spunky in place:

  • 23-07-2019, 23:03
    legendlives
    Made up this shroud thingy to cover all of the ugly bits:



    It's made from 2mm aluminium and attaches to the 4 screen mount bolts.
    Plan is to either paint it body colour (erring towards white) or body colour with a black stripe that follows the line of the screen.
  • 09-07-2019, 23:42
    legendlives
    Quick mock-up and I think I've nailed the look:



    Well I've definitely nailed a look........
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •