Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  6
+ Reply to Thread
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

1974 Ford Econoline shorty van

Wanted one of these for a long time, but other projects, life, blah, blah, beer always got in the way. Having watched the prices creep up I thought it was now or never, so other projects were put on hold (I'll still get the truck to you one day, Wayne!) and I jumped on this one after seeing in on Craigslist in CA.

It's exactly the spec I wanted - shorty, slider, 302, factory auto and power steering. I really wanted an original custom paint van, but seeing as this is 99% rust free (under the sunburn) I thought it won't be too hard to cut the paint back and have the original beltline graphics reproduced some day. It's a two-owner van and I found some interesting bits; it's got a old cruise control kit fitted and an additional fuel tank, so I guess it's seen some easy miles, plus remnants of old blue/green shag carpet and brass curtain poles over the rear windows, so I guess it's seen some parties too.

Plan for now is to run it with the patina and install a basic interior for weekend camping trips, i.e. removable rock and roll bed (I still want it to be able to haul stuff), cabinets, carpeting, swivel seats up front, etc. Just going through it and sorting the basics - tank needs flushing, a new Holley was fitted but not set up, brake check, lighting, electrics, etc, whilst waiting for registration and maiden voyage!

2. Likes296moon liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

MarkT
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice van. I have a 74 with a 351 windsor in it . Not a shorty though as i needed the lengh in rear for my bike. Loaded the bike and gear in it and towed caravan to cornwall last summer. Got loads of interest on the camp site. Love a v8 van, have fun sir.
    MarkT

5. LikesBarneys66 liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mark - bet yours gets up and go with a 351..!

Looking forward to using it. Today came home and found my V5 less than 10 days after sending. Not long now then!

7. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Somewhere Between 1971 & 1989 - but mainly Wakefield in 2013!
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice van!
    http://www.nhrc.freeforums.net/ Light me an axle i'll be back for breakfast, (just nipping back to the 70's)

9. LikesBarneys66 liked this post
    I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Very nice van! Always loved the Econoline!

11. LikesBarneys66 liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys - still tinkering, but have plates so (almost) ready for maiden voyage once the salt is off the roads..

Front off for UK lighting conversion, general once over and battery tray temporary repair - it had rotted out (thankfully no rust on anything below) so I cut up an old Smart Roadster engine cover I had. Will do until a permanent repair can be made..

Carb turned out to be a new Holley, but the accelerator pump was blocked (old fuel so the tank needs to be flushed) so off it came for a clean..

Driver's door glass was smashed so randomly the van came with a spare door! So, glass swapped and did the regulator too as the spare was much tighter. Pain in the ass to do as the quarter light had to come out, but was good to practice on the spare first..!

Here I started to pull some of the insulation from around the skylight, and quickly regretted it as it made one hell of a mess. Job for another day. You can also see my mismatched spare seat and boxes of spares shipped over at the same time.

And finally, a hint of a boogie van past life, with remnants of most excellent shag..

13. Likessteve1275 liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool! Kinda perfect, sweet V8 rumble, compact size and the sweet smell of funky road trips from the distant past
    "I'm not going to take this defeatist attitude and listen to all this crap any more from all these people who have nothing except doomsday to predict."
    Carroll Shelby

15. LikesBarneys66 liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plenty more tinkering but van is now being used and enjoyed, with its maiden voyage to Van Jam #1

Pics paint a thousand words as they say:

PAS gear rebuilt:

DSC_4176 by Barnaby Jones, on Flickr

New water pump, thermostat and housing, PAS pump, etc, etc

DSC_4229 by Barnaby Jones, on Flickr

Heater box modified to take Classic Mini Matrix (which has started leaking already ffs!)

DSC_4234 by Barnaby Jones, on Flickr

DSC_4235 by Barnaby Jones, on Flickr

DSC_4236 by Barnaby Jones, on Flickr

States plates fitted (incorrectly ordered a border, but they'll do for now), revealing nice factory pain check

DSC_4240 by Barnaby Jones, on Flickr

DSC_4238 by Barnaby Jones, on Flickr

Original radiator recored by local company Sheldrake and Wells

DSC_4281 by Barnaby Jones, on Flickr

Made it to Van Jam!

DSC_4292 by Barnaby Jones, on Flickr

DSC_4309 by Barnaby Jones, on Flickr

And finally, picked up my custom-made Rusty Lee rock'n'roll bed - made wider and lower than his normal T4/5 spec. Ply and foam on order, so soon be time to break out the sewing machine, then I can figure out the rest of the interior.

Plan is to have a half-height run along the back wall, to contain a small sink / burner combo (with small fresh and waste bottles), a fridge and possibly more storage. However, also need to consider where the leisure battery, inverter, stereo amp(s) and sub, and plinth heater will go..!

DSC_4341 by Barnaby Jones, on Flickr

DSC_4343 by Barnaby Jones, on Flickr

DSC_4344 by Barnaby Jones, on Flickr

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information