My Yank Tanks (GMC Vandura and Chrysler Stratus Cabrio)
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    I'm a grown up member now !
    Elmpt (Germany) or Lincolnshire, UK when on leave
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

My Yank Tanks (GMC Vandura and Chrysler Stratus Cabrio)

Combining the 2 in one thread as the Chrysler is probably not worthy of a thread of its own

Bought the GMC in November from a guy who had started painting it, went on tour and then decided he was leaving the army. He sold it to me as scrap as the test was short on it and the paint he had done was atrocious. It was half done and it had reacted all over the place. He had also left the masking tape on all the lights, ladder, badges etc which was an absolute pain in the arse to remove after about a year. The van is a 4.3 V6 first registered 01.01.1993.

Here's how it looked when I got it; a mess but a lot of van for 240 euro (about £200)

It now has a years test on it though it didn't come easy. Failed on an indicator out and rear brake not up to scratch. Not too bad I thought. The indicator turned out to be a break in the cable rather than just a bulb and the brake wasn't working as transmision fluid was leaking down the half shaft and into the drum. so, half sharf out, new seals, back in and new brake shoes. I did what I could with the paintwork but I didn't have a massive amount of time or paint. The front wasn't too bad but the bits he had done black took ages and still aren't great. Comparatively though, I'm quite happy with it as it still looks good from a meter or so away and is no longer an eyesore to my neighbours.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the Chrysler Stratus (badged as the Sebring for the European market I believe). It's a Year 2000 2.0 liter manual. I bought it as a project last weekend as it had been sat for about a year. Flat battery and 3 tyres flat as pancakes. Covered in dirt and moss. I took the wheels off, freed of the brakes (had been sat all that time with the handbrake on) and got the wheels/tyres sorted. I then took a chance and it jump started! Drove it to the petrol station as it was registering empty and then up to the car club on camp and the drive is so nice and comfortable. Seats are leather and the drivers seat is electric. The roof is electric too. One of the rear windows doesn't work at the moment, the brake fluid bottle was empty and it gets hot quickly at the minute so may have a blockage or a siezed water pump. There is a small dent in front bumper and another in the back bumper, a light scrape on a front wheel arch which isn't overly noticeable and someone has got it with a key at some poimt but it isn't too deep and may come out yet, Also, lacquer is peeling on the alloys but, at 200 euros (about £170), I'm really happy with it. I know they are a bit old to be desireable for a lot of people and not old enough to be interesting to the other people but I was kicking myself earlier about a month ago that I hadn't picked up a convertable earlier in the year when they were cheap and then I get offered an American car so I am ecstatic about it

Few pics I took today. Still hasn't been cleaned by the way

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Put the GMC up for sale at 3 am and it had sold by 3pm for full asking price; didn't even try to haggle! I say sold: it hasn't technically sold until there's cash in my pocket but a deal has been struck and I now have a bit extra cash towards 'The Cop Rod' Passat and the mild custom Beetle (plus getting the Chrysler on the road ofcourse). I'll be sad to see the Vandura go but it's going to an American lady who I'm sure will look after it and 7 vehicles was too much, even by my standards. More time now for other projects...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information