Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Respray gone wrong!

18K views 102 replies 49 participants last post by  Farmer 
#1 ·
Hi,

Any help or advice on this would be great. I have had a full respray and the panels look different shades. The painter is saying it is impossible but they are definitely different colours. I have spent over 5000!

What do you think?

Other faults are:

Micro blistering on the roof
Repairs showing through the paintwork
Dirt/Silicone in the paint on all areas of the car
Paint put on far took thick with runs, ripples, orange peel and thick edges
Door and bonnet put on wet causing peeling paint
Masking tape ball painted over in engine bay
Inlet manifold bolts not even tightened

#30 ·
Ok, so to help the OP, first off we need the full story!!!
I have a feeling 5k wansnt just the paint job! What work was agreed and on what basis? did you get a written estimate? as has been said painting panels (doors in particular) off the car can end up a different shade for numerous reasons, even the angle if the gun to panel let alone paint, primer use and colour coverage. the rippled paint on the door frame is due to the check strap rubber basicaly de laminating the paint. if there is micro blistering that would indicate moisture contamination either in the original surface snd not sanded enough or in the primer (more common in cellulose primer) or it maybe in the top coat. usually the only remedy is sanding back till the spots have disappeared. this is a better option than relying on primer sealer to hold it back. repairs showing through, shrinkage, shit in the paint, runs etc just compounds the fact its a very poor, unprofessional and and totally unacceptable job. IF ..... it was supposed to be a professional job!! if it was then I suggest you get a few written quotes to recify the job. go to the painter who did the job and ask for all the money back plus any additional costs to rectify. in the event that doesnt happen then emoy an Independent engineer to do a report and issue small claims papers against the painter.
As a professional painter and former body shop owner i would havd to say that no car looking like that would ever have left my shop! but I havd to say... I have seen worse!

#32 ·
Reading the original post it looks like the engine was removed so it looks like it may have been a complete strip down so the cost would not be unreasonable for the amount of work involved however the end result is still pants and is not going to be easy or cheap to rectify.

Personally I would be looking for a refund so it could be done properly.

#34 ·
I showed my missus the pictures and she said "i take it they're the before pictures" and when I said how much her response was "I'd want it polished with Angels pubes at that price! You're joking?"

If talk to the guy, if no joy I'd put some stickers in the window saying "shit paint job by (insert name)
Call (his number) if you want the job fucked up. I'd then drive it around for a few weeks and then park it outside his works for a few days. I bet you'll get results then!!!!

#36 ·
Just to add to my previous post, I would only ask the painter for a full refund for unsatisfactory work.
look up the supply of goods and services act 1982. you would expect the job to be done with reasonable care and in a professional manner. although you dhould give them the opportunity to rectify the work, you can claim no confidence in them being able to to it correctly. you will have grounds to sue for compensation for all the cost of rectification of the (but only) faulty work. ie if the 5k included say new front wings then you wont get that back. get legal advice maybe your bank account has legal help or house ins, or join which magazine and its legal help dept. they are very good.

#38 ·
think the original poster/thread starter needs to update this with more information on what was work was asked to be done,,quoted for etc and what was actually done

just can,t see where the 5k comes from

#59 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.