Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

12 volts to 6 volts

I have done a few conversions from 6 volts to 12 volts and these work fine in the main. Last one I used a 12 volt battery with a 6 volt tapping put on by the battery maker. The 6 volts were just for the fuel gauge and the semaphore solenoids. All worked automatically with relays. I even got the semaphore bulb flashing. Moving on, I want to do away with the 6 volt tapping so I can use a modern sealed battery without the lead bars on top. I have been looking at 12v to 6v regulators using a power transistor and a few other electronic bits. Has anyone here had any dealings with such a regulator or made one up? I have an article by Steve Delanty which spells it out pretty clear and describes one that will cope with over 10 amps which should cover my solenoids but before I go ahead and make one - is there one on the market at a reasonable price?
    Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

www.53catalina.co.uk 53catalina's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    You can certainly buy droppers for the fuel gauges. I think demon tweeks supply them, as well as most vintage car supply dealers.
    You can buy heavy duty ones for the lights and heater motor, but i have never used one myself.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any suggestions on where to get the heavy duty ones?

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie Grumpy Grandad's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure you can buy something off the shelf but If you can do minor electronics you could easily make something up that will do the job. Parts from RS components , Maplin , Ebay

You could use an IC from Maplin rated at 2 amp L200C Adjustable Voltage and Current Regulator : Voltage Regulators : Maplin Electronics

Or a zenner diode and ressistor will do the job, probably best to have one circuit for each load. We used these to switch idustrial transmission solenoids and proved very reliable.
    Zener Diode Voltage Regulator - Electric Circuit
    Steve

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Grandad View Post
    Not sure you can buy something off the shelf but If you can do minor electronics you could easily make something up that will do the job. Parts from RS components , Maplin , Ebay

You could use an IC from Maplin rated at 2 amp L200C Adjustable Voltage and Current Regulator : Voltage Regulators : Maplin Electronics
    Or a zenner diode and ressistor will do the job, probably best to have one circuit for each load. We used these to switch idustrial transmission solenoids and proved very reliable.
    Zener Diode Voltage Regulator - Electric Circuit
    From what I have gleaned so far, it seems that in order to cope with about 10+ amps the circuit would need a power transistor. I think the transistor is controlled by a voltage regulator like the zener. What do you think? I am no electronics engineer but I think I would be able to put this together but if I could buy something ready made I would go for that. I am on the verge of taking myself to Maplins. I read an article on the net by Steve Delanty titled 6 to 12 to 6.
    Last edited by Perfect65; 12-04-2013 at 07:56.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased a voltage drop from LMC Trucks for my fuel gauge, seems to work ok, I know that Pop Browns stock two versions but I can't remember the explanation to which unit was best for what purpose.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cymrodder View Post
    I purchased a voltage drop from LMC Trucks for my fuel gauge, seems to work ok, I know that Pop Browns stock two versions but I can't remember the explanation to which unit was best for what purpose.
    I just checked on the PopBrowns catalogue and the volt droppers are for gauges so dont cope with the current I need for the semaphore solenoids. I am thinking maybe better I stay with the 12 volt classic style battery with exposed straps on the top and have a 6 volt tapping fitted as I have done before - so much simpler. But, in the meantime I will make one of the high current voltage control units as described by Steve delanty and report back here. Cheers, Dave

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    couldnt you use a LM7805 with a diode on the middle leg and then a 2n3055 to give you some current (bit basic but cheap as chips)

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why not use a couple of modern six volt batteries in series and you can tap off the one like you already have.That gives you both the 12 and 6 volt posts . Just thoughts.

bob

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robo1 View Post
    Why not use a couple of modern six volt batteries in series and you can tap off the one like you already have.That gives you both the 12 and 6 volt posts . Just thoughts.

bob
    Yes I know what you mean but I think this is similar to the 12 volt battery with a 6 volt tapping but this idea ok if the battery doesn't have exposed bars on the top. Thanks for that - will submit to the committee. Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information