Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 1k vs 2k paint

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really? I always assumed that the super pro paint jobs that are major 'deep' were done in 2k - I always assumed that's what the pro's used (or waterbased followed by 2k clear), i thought celly was now pretty obselete.

Sorry, I know you clear over base, I meant can one get solid colours in a base coat, or only metallics? (Sorry, probably a stupid question!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    lots of people say 2K has an un-natural gloss compared to cellulose or old coach enamels etc. You can get 2K to a very good finish but theres more graft in the polishing, helps if you use the right compounds and mops, but with the right prep and a good painter, no reason why it can't be a mile deep finish.

Exceeded sell by date Plumpcars's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you'll find that all top painters have their own methods but a mate of mine who is pretty much 'up there' gets a deeper black or solid colour without using clear over. He only uses 2 pack. So epoxy/high build if needed/colour coat.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    mile deep, sounds good I think to be honest I am after that unnatural gloss... I want it literally like glass and a proper mirror finish, no swirls etc. odd really as my next project is either going to be matt black or bare metal!
    Celly almost seems to 'soft' like it would scratch way to easily just from polishing, know what I mean? Is that an opinion held by anyone else?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    sorry, was writing that when you posted your reply plumpcars - that's interesting to hear. I'm friendly with a painter who has done alot of painting for my dad, so I might have a word with him about clear vs solid

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Celly IS more brittle than 2k but easier to touch in. (IMO) I remember when 2k first came out, Sikkens back then ,and they used to show how good it was with 'obliteration cards' ( black/white check). You'd see how many coats each took to cover totally , 2k was always less ...then the final trick was rolling them up after they had cured. The celly would all flake off but the 2 k would still stay attached !

Each paint generation is better than the last, ie celly was far better than enamel and 2k is far better than celly ..technically

Official RnS Addict farncombe pop's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Celly IS more brittle than 2k but easier to touch in. (IMO) I remember when 2k first came out, Sikkens back then ,and they used to show how good it was with 'obliteration cards' ( black/white check). You'd see how many coats each took to cover totally , 2k was always less ...then the final trick was rolling them up after they had cured. The celly would all flake off but the 2 k would still stay attached !

Each paint generation is better than the last, ie celly was far better than enamel and 2k is far better than celly ..technically
    Mid 70's Kev? we had the rep do the same tests back then, agree on the celly and touch in's ... so much better for polishing the "edge" in after a few days, but a bugger for sinking and that old "fried egg" on repairs that's where 2k really came into it's own.
    Here to help !

Exceeded sell by date Plumpcars's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrod View Post
    sorry, was writing that when you posted your reply plumpcars - that's interesting to hear. I'm friendly with a painter who has done alot of painting for my dad, so I might have a word with him about clear vs solid

You'll get different answers from different parts of the paint trade. A general repairer will do things differently to a custom or high end restorative painter. This is not a reflection on their ability but each aspect of the paint trade has a different set of requirements. A repairer has to work to insurance hours normally so speed is vital. To a high end painter or custom painter the speed is not so important as the final quality and quality takes hours and sometimes different methods/materials. Mate has just put 300 hours into a custom paint job on a 32 roadster and before the critics start that was not a 'lets rip the customer off' job. I have the utmost respect for his patience on a job like this.
    Last edited by Plumpcars; 12-08-2010 at 17:04.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    I'm a celly man meself I have been painting celly for the past 30yrs + apart for the good ole Jippfast now & again

I have used 2k and still do on modern motors (base & clear etc) mind you still don't like having to do local repairs in 2k

IMO..... once a motor is painted in celly, any locals that need to be done in yrs to come
    you can blow into perfection
    The car is open, the keys are under the dog !

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb*Thread Hijack*

Hi Zody,

do you ever put clear lacquer on ya celly?

I've spent kin ages cutting back my paint job attempt and aint sure how much paint is left on .
    It does look fab mind, but just wondering if it should have some lacquer on so future buffs ups
    don't take no more paint off.

cheers
    KJ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information