+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: 1k vs 2k paint

Dragging not Bragging vince-305's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Black magic Racing View Post
    Hi

Why dont you try using a good quality water base and a water base clearcoat i am a tech for a paint company and use these products everyday infact my race car is painted in water from primer to clear its easy to use with no special equipment required and drys with a hairdryer move with the times people ?
    Ive heard all sorts about water based mostly bad ............... everything from its worse than celly as thin as water (understandable) no air dry (needs a booth) prep has to be spot on where 2k is quite forgiving

When my dad had his coach firm everything was enamel big bro used to get an amazing finish with celly (1200 and fairy liquid far superior to any compound) i hadnt even heard of 1500 + paper till i saw the yank programs (Boyd and Foose) and i was taught using ICI 2k at collage (yep you read that rite im learnerd )
    Bit'z 'N' Piece's
    Ford consul mk2 chevy powered highrider

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by firebird68 View Post
    Waterbased is not an easy option , I remember the painters at a firm I worked for having problems with it [ and these were experienced painters using the best professional gear and booth !]
    What I would say is that for home use a 2K high build primer , sprayed over a light coat of etch primer , then followed by cellulose top coats is a good way to go . Get the basics right at the primer stage and the cellulose will go on nicely ,and if you make any errors it is easy to flat back by hand unlike 2k.
    Sorry,
    Gotta disagree with some of that.
    Etch primer can often react with a lot of paints unless you check compatability first.

Far better to go with epoxy primer, sticks just as well as etch and is waterproof too (no other primers to my knowledge are). It also is compatable with any topcoat you wish to put on it.

All these people who think 2K is hard to flat??? either I'm super tough or everyone else expects it to flat in 10 secs??
    I've always found it easy enough to flat off, especially if done within 48 hours of painting.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpopracing View Post
    Sorry,
    Etch primer can often react with a lot of paints unless you check compatability first.

Far better to go with epoxy primer, sticks just as well as etch and is waterproof too (no other primers to my knowledge are). It also is compatable with any topcoat you wish to put on it.

All these people who think 2K is hard to flat??? either I'm super tough or everyone else expects it to flat in 10 secs??
    I've always found it easy enough to flat off, especially if done within 48 hours of painting.
    How hard do you reckon it will be to do after 4 years ?

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still easy Kev, took me about 4 years to get round to flatting off the Camaro's bonnet, only took an afternoon to cut it right down and polish back up to a mirror finish.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Camero bonnet is about the same area as my 27 body so should be fine then ?

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpopracing View Post
    Sorry,

Never had a problem with etch reacting myself ,best to stick with one manufacturers system or a good supplier can normally advise on compatability . Yes epoxy primer is good and would be an alternative to etch ,but what I was really getting at is a system that Joe Average can use in a domestic setting. Mopping back 2K is about the easiest way of ruining a paintjob known to man, unless you happen to be experienced and know how to handle a power mop...Cellulose cuts back easily by hand ,you can colour - sand it using 1200 and 1500 paper and end up with a deep glass like finish ,just takes a little time but well worth the effort...

MHT
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just to add something else to the mix.
    What does 1K & 2K actually mean, 1-pack and 2-pack(with hardener)?
    I have been reading an old Metalflake book and a HOK Tech manual. What are acrylic lacquer (1 or 2 pack?) and urethane or urethane enamel in English?
    Oh, and can you spray celly laquer over 2K lacquer?
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    2K is 2 pack. Paint and added hardener. I'm guessing that 1K is just single pack (just paint?)
    Not sure about the acrylic but think its the older generation of paint. Again, not sure but think the urethane is the newer type of 2 pack, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yes you can spray celly laquer on to 2K laquer, but why on earth would you want to???

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ik is paint plus thinners, 2K is paint plus thinners plus hardener.

Acrylic lacquer is truly clear as opposed to celly which has a yellow tint that becomes more pronounced with age.

Being able to put other material over different types can be a dodgy one, some are fine until you key for adhesion , or need a minimum period before over coating and some vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. You'll be needing ( I think to check out Lechler tech sheets ,available on the 'net

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information