Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 302 efi

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

302 efi

I`ve got an 1987 econoline day van with a 302 EFI in it and it runs like a dream.What I want to know is can I play with that engine, put a cherry bomb on the exhaust without messing the fuel injection up.Some one mentioned a lambda sensor on the exhaust which may be effected by making it straight through also whether i could swap the heads for higher compression ones.Basically I want to know if i am limited in anyway by the EFI set up to make alterations/modifications to the engine if i wanted to.There is of course that choice of it going into something else another day,does everyone scrap the injection set up and put a carb on ? I`m sure there must be some up grades that can be made to get it to perform a bit better,it does ,for what it is,quite well on the fuel consumption but it does lack beans, or rather needs more of them.What are your thoughts, cheers guys
    If it bleeds, we can kill it.http://www.supermotors.net/21407

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It all depends on how complicated your efi is.

In theory, reducing the exhaust back pressure shouldn't and probably doesn't make any difference, and to all intense and purposes upping the cr shouldn't affect it too much either.
    As you are still squirting in the same ampunt of fuel and air respectively the various sensors should inform the ecu and the system should cope.

However.......... American efi set ups and their smog bilge and other things can prove to be a mine field and open up a right can of worms.
    Rather than get high comp heads youd be better off investing in an aftermarket ecu that you can program yourself and tweek at your liesure (although you can'y beat having it set up on a rolling road.
    Ask about on the mustang forums as the guys with the fox types are playing with them all the time.
    Also depends what type you have, MAP, MAF (hot wire) etc etc. so there's plenty of research to do

:-)

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers,
    i had a feeling things might not be as easy as first seemed.As I say it`s an 87 which i hoped would mean being older could mean being easier.I` ve never had an efi set up on a vehicle before, had plenty of pressure fed bosch systems and they used to compensate for quite a lot of alterations.On the flip side though you think it may be possible to make improvements by changing an ecu.That just sounds to easy.I`m glad I asked and perhaps some one else may be able to shed more light on the subject Thanks Fozwanger
    Last edited by paddy; 25-01-2010 at 20:46.
    If it bleeds, we can kill it.http://www.supermotors.net/21407

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Lee
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a '91 Mustang with EFI and I've dumped all the emissions crap and fitted a free flow exhaust and one or two other bits and bobs with no problems.
    As long as you don't start messing with the injection system too much you should be OK.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information