Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

350 Chevy TBI problems

OK , it's not in a rod. It's in my d*y v*n but don't tell anyone.

It starts & runs fine but after a couple of miles it cuts out. Not good on a dual carriageway! I think it might be when I press the peddle a bit harder & ask for more gas that the problem is but knowing nothing of this fuel injection voodoo I don't know where to start. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

I did bypass the rear heater matrix at the weekend , trying to cure a mystery water leak , but I don't think that should affect it.

It has been producing lots of white smoke on start up for a while but that usually stops once it has got into 2nd gear

It is running on LPG , I overhauled the condensor about 6 months ago & there is hot water in there. I suppose I should go put some petrol in it & give it a try on that but don't fancy having it cut out on the way.
    No longer selling anything Hot Rod related. Not on this site anyway. Don't bother searching Ebay either, they got too greedy.........

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The usual source of a cutting out problem is TPS ( throttle position sensor ) having a internal break /worn spot . You can verify this by piercing two of the wires with pins and using a volt meter to check readings. What reading, or which wires ( normally 3 ) you expecting on a Chevy I've no idea !

What happens is that when it reaches the break / flat spot the voltage drops and the ECU sees that as you decellerating and cuts fuel pump pressure so resulting in stalling. Quite how that ties in with the LPG set up I've no idea.

the other thing is that the ECU uses a WTS ( Water Temperature Sensor) to decide who much fuel it needs depending on temerature and moving that waterpip emay have created a false reading ?

To try to cure the mysterious water leak try Kalimex K Seal in the water , good stuff.

http://www.kalimex.co.uk/section.htm...01.04.&pgid=17

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Kev, I was going to put the water system back together as a first job. Looks like I had better try to identify some sensors too.

It's only 20 years old & starting to go wrong already , they just don't make things like they used to.
    No longer selling anything Hot Rod related. Not on this site anyway. Don't bother searching Ebay either, they got too greedy.........

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    TBI is a truely horrible system combining the complications of modern hi-tech sensors relays and ecu stuff combined with a primitive semi carb. If I were you I would find a second hand holley or rochester, even a 2 barrel would probably be an improvement and if a fault develops you can fix it yourself. Ask yourself why are there so many early C4 corvettes which were factory fitted TBI now running holley carbs?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    when testing the Tps sensor it should read approx 0.5v closed and 5v at WOT.
    There are 3 wires,
    Grey - 5v reference signal
    Black - ground
    Dark blue - tps signal (0.5-5v)

I'd be looking at the Oxygen sensor as well as they are service items (every 50,000 miles) and usually go closed loop after about 2 minutes, open loop (no voltage) until that time or under 360 degrees.

Are you getting a service warning light? if so can you interrogate it for the service code?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpopracing View Post

Are you getting a service warning light? if so can you interrogate it for the service code?

" You vill tell me " in best Herr Flick accent.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Service engine light is normally on when it's running on LPG. Tested it anyway code 45 - oxo sensor rich running. It usually gives me a code 44 (even when it's got a new sensor in) - lean running. I know it's runing rich though - a tankfull used to get me 200 miles , I'm doing well to get 160 now!

Needless to say the TPS connector is about 1/4" below the solid , imoveable filler tube for the trans , anyway managed to get a reading 0.5 to 4.4 V , now trying to get it off to have a look (no access , poor light , dropped spanner etc etc )

EGR solenoid don't look very clever either . I wonder if Halfords have them in stock

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Usautomotive carry them all in stock and deliver next day by post usually.
    Sounds like a careful clean of the throttle body might be in order.
    Have you run any STP injector cleaner through it ever? really makes a big difference!

PS,
    White smoke on startup?
    Is it smoke or steam?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got 5 volts out of it now , don't think laddo was pressing the pedal hard enough.

I'll pick up some inector cleaner in the morning when I go for some hose to replace all this perished stuff!

Probably is steam. Sometimes has clear water dripping out of the exhaust but I thought that was a byproduct of the LPG. I've done a compression test & checked the plugs etc , don't think it's the head gaskets (Hope not , took me a fortnight to do last time!)

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let us know how you get on, leaky head gasket would give very clean plug(s) on those cylinders, might be an indicator?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information