Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got a very prompt, professional and encouraging reply from John Sleath - to the point where I think I might just let him do the entire thing. The 15% it costs to put it together and set it up is probably the best money spent.

Here's another question.... whilst I'm really keen to have a manual this time for the driving pleasure, is there a point in either E.T or bhp in drag racing terms where people give up on manuals and just use auto's?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a good plan, autos are more consistent in the quarter as the shifts are always regular and dont mis shift.
    Autos can also have a trans brake fitted for when you get serious!
    More room for feet with one less pedal too, they can be converted to manual valve body if preferred too.

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpopracing View Post
    Sounds like a good plan, autos are more consistent in the quarter as the shifts are always regular and dont mis shift.
    Autos can also have a trans brake fitted for when you get serious!
    More room for feet with one less pedal too, they can be converted to manual valve body if preferred too.
    I was thinking more in terms of containing the power. We all know a TH400 can be built to withstand very high high power levels..... but what about manual transmissions?

I've not done loads of research, but from what I have done, I can't find anything stronger than a Tremec TKO600, rated at up to 600ft/lbs..... Not being funny, but that sounds like a case full of shrapnel after a dozen dumped clutch starts on sticky slicks with a VERY healthy 383?

What do the big boys use when running and manual trans?

Also, please might someone explain what a manual valve body does to the shift on an auto box in terms of mechanical differences and the driver interface?

Hope all my questions aren't too tedious - I'm just very keen to learn more about this aspect of things BEFORE I start spending money.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Triumph View Post
    I was thinking more in terms of containing the power. We all know a TH400 can be built to withstand very high high power levels..... but what about manual transmissions?

I've not done loads of research, but from what I have done, I can't find anything stronger than a Tremec TKO600, rated at up to 600ft/lbs..... Not being funny, but that sounds like a case full of shrapnel after a dozen dumped clutch starts on sticky slicks with a VERY healthy 383?

What do the big boys use when running and manual trans?

Also, please might someone explain what a manual valve body does to the shift on an auto box in terms of mechanical differences and the driver interface?

Hope all my questions aren't too tedious - I'm just very keen to learn more about this aspect of things BEFORE I start spending money.
    In drag racing, regular manuals aren't really used at a high level. The tendency is to go to a clutchless manual from Liberty or a Lenco.

As far as I'm aware, the highest rated street type manual trans is the Tranzilla - its a beefed up T56 rated to around 1000lb-ft. It isn't cheap though....

Rockland Standard Gear also do 'Son of Tranzilla' which is rated to 750lb-ft.

Once again, it's a question of the weakest link, if you're planning on making more than 750lb-ft on a stock block then the trans isn't your problem.
    But it has to be said that somebody somewhere has broken every trans made (no, not one person) so there are no guarantees.

A Manual valve body simply eliminates the auto shifting capability of the transmission. The 'box won't shift early on it's own and the valve bodies are set up to provide very firm shifts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information