4 link /bar question?
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

 
Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    middlesex
    Posts
    108
    Images
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    petrolhead is offline

    Question4 link /bar question?

    hiya, i have 30mm clearance between my 4 bars and the inside walls of my tires, do you think this is ok or is it too close, the car is heavily tubbed and things are very tight,what kind of clearance have you guys got and have you had any problems with tires touching the link bars? thanks in advance tony
    __________________

  2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Supercharged 461 cu in prostreet70gto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    bromley, kent
    Posts
    1,401
    Images
    396
    Post Thanks / Like
    prostreet70gto is offline
    I have got 18.50x33x15 Mickey Thompson's under the back of my gto, with around 2 inches of clearance on the backside of the tyres from the chassis rails. What you have to remember about a 4 bar setup is the sideways arc which on mine is around 1 1/2 inches at full float and thats with a panard bar to hold it in line at rest. so id say you are gonna have issues unless you can run something other than a panard bar to keep it square
    One word can say so much.....BLOWN

  4. #3
    Official RnS Addict Dragsterbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stratford on Avon , Warks
    Posts
    1,029
    Images
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dragsterbus is offline
    Thats pretty much the min amount you want but it should be ok
    The Intergalactic Custom Shop , Tube chassis and roll cages, Drag cars built, Traditional panel work, Steel and Aluminium Tig welding,Wheeling,lead work,roof chops,Hotrod and Kustom work ,mag wheels wanted

  5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Official RnS Addict ELECTRIC20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SCARBOROUGH, NORTH YORKSHIRE
    Posts
    560
    Images
    599
    Post Thanks / Like
    ELECTRIC20 is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by petrolhead View Post
    hiya, i have 30mm clearance between my 4 bars and the inside walls of my tires, do you think this is ok or is it too close, the car is heavily tubbed and things are very tight,what kind of clearance have you guys got and have you had any problems with tires touching the link bars? thanks in advance tony
    __________________
    Assemble it all together WITHOUT the springs , sit the car on axle stands then move axle ,wheels and tyres in every possible direction , full travel , tilt and diagonally . If it interferes "anywhere" you will have trouble at some point in the future .

  7. #5
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    middlesex
    Posts
    108
    Images
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    petrolhead is offline
    thanks for the responces guys, i have a rose jointed diagonal link between the 2 lower link bars so no side travel on axle during movement up and down, im just worried as im running 29/18.5/15 and i intend on a bit of drag action and im just concerned that when the tires are let down for traction that they may touch .

    prostreet70gto
    I have got 18.50x33x15 Mickey Thompson's under the back of my gto, with around 2 inches of clearance on the backside of the tyres from the chassis rails. What you have to remember about a 4 bar setup is the sideways arc which on mine is around 1 1/2 inches at full float and thats with a panard bar to hold it in line at rest. so id say you are gonna have issues unless you can run something other than a panard bar to keep it square


    have you had any issues when they are low pressure? cheers for your help , tony

  8. #6
    Supercharged 461 cu in prostreet70gto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    bromley, kent
    Posts
    1,401
    Images
    396
    Post Thanks / Like
    prostreet70gto is offline
    I run with 10lbs pressure for daily driving with no probs. With that size of tyre you hardly notice when they are flat, you notice more when they are over-inflated. Plus they get taller and skinny when racing. I do know people that have had problems when doing oval track racing though, because then you can get side scrub that rubs the inside of one wheel and the outer on the other if the body is near it
    One word can say so much.....BLOWN

  9. #7
    Official RnS Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    6,662
    Images
    2315
    Post Thanks / Like
    nobody is offline
    hi
    ive read befor that the diagonal link you have is a no no for street use.
    might be worth a little research

  10. #8
    Off the Xmas card list kapri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    23,086
    Images
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    kapri is offline

  11. #9
    Official RnS Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    5,764
    Images
    57
    Post Thanks / Like
    40Stude is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    hi
    ive read befor that the diagonal link you have is a no no for street use.
    might be worth a little research
    Absolutely correct and I know that loads of people will now say that they have used them successfully for years. Read the links that Kev has posted, they are just two of many from US based chassis shops.

  12. #10
    Official RnS Addict ELECTRIC20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SCARBOROUGH, NORTH YORKSHIRE
    Posts
    560
    Images
    599
    Post Thanks / Like
    ELECTRIC20 is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by petrolhead View Post
    thanks for the responces guys, i have a rose jointed diagonal link between the 2 lower link bars so no side travel on axle during movement up and down, im just worried as im running 29/18.5/15 and i intend on a bit of drag action and im just concerned that when the tires are let down for traction that they may touch .

    prostreet70gto
    I have got 18.50x33x15 Mickey Thompson's under the back of my gto, with around 2 inches of clearance on the backside of the tyres from the chassis rails. What you have to remember about a 4 bar setup is the sideways arc which on mine is around 1 1/2 inches at full float and thats with a panard bar to hold it in line at rest. so id say you are gonna have issues unless you can run something other than a panard bar to keep it square


    have you had any issues when they are low pressure? cheers for your help , tony
    Ur not listening ! Under torque ur "chassis" may touch top of your tyre on initial plant at start line if u dont av enuf clearance !
    Remove ur springs and wobble ur axle !
    Later !
    Last edited by ELECTRIC20; 06-01-2011 at 02:50.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. 4 bar link set up
      By xr8 in forum Tech Discussion
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 23-11-2010, 03:15
    2. Replies: 4
      Last Post: 13-11-2010, 09:31
    3. langy wants the link to here
      By stumpy in forum Chat
      Replies: 19
      Last Post: 25-04-2009, 17:32
    4. Have you got the link's effect...?
      By MR1958CADILLAC in forum Chat
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 24-04-2009, 12:15
    5. Open drive kit and Pete & Jake Ladder Bar Kit
      By Clarky in forum Stuff - WANTED
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 22-04-2009, 10:07

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may post new threads
    • You may post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •