Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie 540cortina's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

'64 Ranchero/Falcon bolt in front coil-over conversion

Well, the highs and lows and highs (quite literally) of the weekends spannering.

Decided to go for a bolt in coil-over kit to replace the tired old shocks and springs on the front of the Ranchero, after doing a load of research decided to go for the Chris Alston's Chassis Works kit, it's not cheap but certainly has the quality:

https://www.cachassisworks.com/p-108...djustable.aspx

The general thoughts I found trawling forums for these bolt in style coilover kits was people who hadn't used them were basically saying "what's the point" and yet folks who had first hand experience with them said they made the world of difference.... Was a bit of a risk but...

Installation was painless apart from the age old dice with death that are spring compressors, there is a top plate which bolts into the top of the tower through the 3 existing holes which the top of the coilover mounts to and the bottom of the coilover bolts through the 2 existing holes where the spring perch used to mount.

The only issue we had was the 1" lower set up I went for actually put the truck about 2" higher which one was not amused with!!! Bit of a mystery as to why at the moment too....

After a bit of thinking on Saturday evening I decided to make up some spacers for the top mount (the different height kits just have a different height top mount) I spaced it up 30mm which was the most I could go without the top of the coilover hitting the inside of the strut tower, that has gotten it back to the ride height it was before. It's bloody handy having CNC kit at work at times!

I'm disappointed it's not lower but that's now easily changeable with a different length spring, what I am bloody impressed with is how it drives now, it's made the world of difference!!!!

Its feels so much more planted and level while cornering (I already had a beefier 1" dia sway bar) the 500lb springs give a firmer ride but is by no means harsh, hitting bumps while cornering no longer make you feel like your about to fall off the road!

Overall I'm very pleased with the whole set up, as I say its really night and day difference in how it drives, I'd definitely do it again
    18736542 NOT 18436572

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    love "the dice that is death with spring compressors" absolutely spot on, always severely clenched butt cheeks whenever these are in use!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information