Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    I'm a grown up member now ! CraigH's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

70's Ford steering coupler woes!!!!!

Has anybody got any experience of changing the steering coupler(rag joint) on a 70's Ford. I recently got my 1977 Thunderbird on the road after a 20 year lay up, she's shown in the showroom in the thread SHE'E FINISHED, MOSTLY!!!.

She passed the MOT about 3 weeks ago but since then she has started to get play in the steering. Have investigated today and found that the joint between the steering column and the steering box has collapsed. I believe it is called the steering coupler or rag joint.

I have tried to remove the joint and have got the 2 nuts off and the pinch bolt out and have dropped the steering box to allow me to pull the joint apart. Not sure now how to get the remains of the rubber/nylon from round the 2 dowels as it is held in place by a retainer and I cant figure out how it comes off. I have tried brute force and ignorance but for once this hasn't done the trick. Looking now at removing the column from the car to do the repair on the bench unless anyone knows better. Also what sort of job is it getting the column out.

thanks

CraigH
    Some people are like Slinky’s. Pretty much useless but make you smile when you push them down the stairs!!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict bigyellataxi's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    They normally come out complete, i.e. two pinch bolts, one on each side (box and column).

You can usually get away with wedging a screwdriver into the slot to aid getting it off the column.

I am talking about UK cars so I might be giving you bad advice...

Fueled by Jim and Luckies.
    Still doing all the shit I used to ;-)

I'm a grown up member now ! CraigH's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have now sorted this. Ended up taking the column out of the car which was a lot of fun but it made changing the joint easier in the end. The joint that had fallen to bits was a rubber donut but the rest of the joint is designed in such a way that you can never lose the steering, just get loads of play.
    In the states you can buy a new universal fit donut but a lot of guys prefer to use conveyor belting of the correct thickness as it has the reinforcing in it. Living in an old mining area pit belting is available so that is what I have used. It's definitely taken all the play out of the steering and it is more durable than the un reinforced rubber donut that I took off but I will keep an eye on it.
    Some people are like Slinky’s. Pretty much useless but make you smile when you push them down the stairs!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information