Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes: †0
+ Reply to Thread
    I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

8 point scimitar Bay Area Rod?

Hi everyone. Iíve been lurking on here for a while reading everything I possibly can and today finally decided to sign up and post.

Iíve been thinking about a cheapish economicalish fun rod to put together. Itíll probably remain on paper for quite a while (my Plymouth being the big project) but thereís no harm in playing with the concept.

Iíd like to build a reliant scimitar (probably pre 72 se5) based 32 roadster pick up. Gary at Bay Area Rods has virtually all the body parts around at a very reasonable price, and his jalopee is very much like I see mine (maybe channelled a little lower with a chopped front grill Ė not sure yet).

The 8 points I intend to keep are chassis (5), engine (1) gearbox (2)

I understand that removing the outriggers would be deemed acceptable as they are for supporting the body as shown here (and in numerous pages on the-ace etc):

Re-bodying: a definative thread - NSRA Forum

Where my Scimitar project would differ from a lot of the others I have seen is in the front suspension. Iíd plan to use a traditional I beam set up with the axle in front of the grill and a transverse leaf spring behind it (like Jimmy Shineís channelled 34 pickup):

'Bare Nekid' Bare Metal 34 / BareNekid1.jpg

This would also lengthen the wheelbase a little improving the look and weight distribution. There would be no additional chassis structure (transverse spring possibly bolted to front cross member?) and no cuts have to be made.

My concern is:

A: The DVLA/VOSA would see this as extending the chassis, even though it hasnít been touched, and
    B: Iíd have to (like to) remove the shock towers.

It would seem to me that the shock towers are no longer structural if they arenít supporting any shocks and therefore that comes under the suspension mod, but Iím interested to see if the DVLA agree. Also, isnít the VIN for the vehicle mounted on the shock tower? Any ideas?

Also, what do the DVLA think about cosmetic chassis rail extensions? The Volksrod Jalopee has these cosmetic rails and increased wheelbase (as do a bunch of VWs) and they seem to get by without problems.

Sorry for the long post but at least the infoís there and I can prove Iíve read all the links!

Thanks a lot,
    Conor

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The outer rails are NOT acceptable for removal as they are classed as chassis NOT body mounts. In VOSA Tech eyes , who provide assistance to DVLA , body mounts are small right angle brackets. I know there has been an inspection on a Scimitar based B where they were removed and it has been accepted as a rebody. This is down the the level of knowledge at each individual DVLA LO as the info on the ACE site is achieved by direct contact with DVLA Policy and VOSA Tech. Whether that info is understood or actioned is down to each LO . We are lead to understand that recent 'clarification' has caused every rebody to be sent to VOSA as those implementating at LO level still don't understand their own rules and regulations.

Fitting of any different components should be accomplished using existing mountings on the chassis .Removal of the front towers is a modification to the chassis, you cannot remove or alter the chassis but can strengthen .

The use of beam extenders is a matter of disagreement at some DVLA offices , the toss could be argued as to what function they are performing. 'Our' view is that the bolt on using existing pick up points and shouldn't be an issue under they rules, DVLA seem to be viewing them as a chassis extension.

Any extension of the chassis perimeter is not acceptable but if they were mounted from the body it wouldn't become an issue.

To demonstrate the way things are viewed a recent rebody had a perimeter support frame bolted through the chassis and the body then bolted to it and this was considered unacceptable. However by bonding that frame to the body and then bolting that to the chassis it became acceptable.

If I were building what you propose I'd go down the BIVA route, you get exactly what you want and a B roadster is , in essence, not that different to a Lotus 7 style 'kit' and loads of them pass.
    Last edited by kapri; 12-10-2010 at 18:50.

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kapri,

Thanks a lot for the clarification. There's a lot of infos and examples about but it seems that the chronological order of a lot of these incidents where certain vehicles have been passed is important.

Once again, thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

All the best,
    60 Ply
    Last edited by 60 Plymouth; 10-02-2011 at 22:07.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    . Chronology is big factor in any cars legality at any given moment . We hope to be adding some more content to the site that will explain more what is, and has, been going on re systems in place at various times.

We dealt with a recent rebody where the vehicle failed ( correctly so per the rules) for having 10 inches chopped of the rear of the chassis , everything else was stock. Yet 3 others with the same conversion passed at other offices. Obviously he feels aggrieved but it is the others who have been lucky rather than him unlucky
    Last edited by kapri; 12-10-2010 at 18:53.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information