Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Official RnS Addict fordf350camper's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Air ride leaf spring

Would it be possible to fit air ride to my Nissan trojan.The donor is the Nissan cabstar,Onthe front it has one big thick leaf spring that goes from the left side to the right side,Does the spring have to be removed.Any advice help is welcome thank you.If you dont know what my Trojan looks like look at my project thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    if it's just the one leaf then you'd need to remove it, unless you want to 'lift' the front that is. i guess you could get it re rolled flatter to lower the car and use the bags to lift it to ride height, the advantage being you wouldn't need such big bags as they would be assisting the leaf not supporting the whole weight and it's still driveable (all be it low) if the bags failed.
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

I'm a grown up member now ! Badgrizzly's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    So could you airbag a leaf sprung car, mine has front and rear semi elliptical springs. Could I reduce the amount of leaves and replace shocks with bags, the front springs have graphite sliders at the very front end rather than fixed in shackles, the rears have shackles. I currently have air shocks on the rear to allow small adjustment to ride height when loaded up. Oh its a 1949 AC.

Cheers for any info G

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgrizzly View Post
    So could you airbag a leaf sprung car, mine has front and rear semi elliptical springs. Could I reduce the amount of leaves and replace shocks with bags, the front springs have graphite sliders at the very front end rather than fixed in shackles, the rears have shackles. I currently have air shocks on the rear to allow small adjustment to ride height when loaded up. Oh its a 1949 AC.

Cheers for any info G
    you still need shocks, technically the bags are air springs not shocks. unless you get those spendy bag over shocks.
    but yes you can replace some leaves with bags to get ride height adjustment.
    neil.

I'm a grown up member now ! Badgrizzly's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers Neil, will have a look to see what is out there re bags and best way to fit. Was not sure about the shocks bit so cheers. G

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Although it could work, the remaining spring leaf(s) will be locating the axles under acceleration, braking and laterally during cornering so will need to be up to the job. For instance, if the rear springs were originally six leaves, if you use just the main leaf it could wind up under torque during acceleration and braking. Or you could add some form of traction control arms, panhard bars, etc.
    Screw EU

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JackGriffin View Post
    Although it could work, the remaining spring leaf(s) will be locating the axles under acceleration, braking and laterally during cornering so will need to be up to the job. For instance, if the rear springs were originally six leaves, if you use just the main leaf it could wind up under torque during acceleration and braking. Or you could add some form of traction control arms, panhard bars, etc.
    good point, anti tramp bars are easy to fit though.
    neil.

Official RnS Addict fordf350camper's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information