Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'm a grown up member now ! Wolselliac's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Aluminium 4-pot Brake Callipers

When I started looking for Aluminium front brake callipers, I thoughts it was going to be fairly straight forward and get something relatively quickly off-the-shelf so to speak. Not so!. I need better brakes as my legs are not as stronge as they were.
    Firstly, I'm using (or they have been on the car for 30 yrs) Rover SD1 struts, the brakes are solid discs and 2-pot callipers. I own a set of NOS genuine Rover 4-pot callipers and vented discs but never fitted as I calculated that the clamping force of the 4-pot and larger pad was only a few % better than the original and not worth the effort.
    So went to SD1 owners web site, and there was nothing! except if you want to fit 17-19" wheels, and I'm sticking with my 15" wheels.
    Looked at a Face-ache site for Modified SD1 and some have used a mod done 30 odd yrs ago using a jag XJ12 4-pot and vented disc, the calliper have pistons of 48mm dia compared with the SD1 of only 41mm dia which results in a 37% more clamping force and larger discs giving 10% extra leverage. Win Win Result I thought, no not really, as you have to have a special collar/adaptor (which no one makes any more) for the discs to bolt to the SD1 hubs and the calipers have to have either 2 slots drilled/milled in the calliper lugs to fit, which makes them useless if you need them to be overhauled in the future as most companies do it on an exchange for old unit basis (as they will be condemned as unusable! due to the lug holes being "damaged"). Also the callipers weigh a hefty 7.8kg!!.
    I looked at Wilwood and found the perfect ( or so I thought) calliper. Aluminium (tick), 4-pot (tick), 48mm piston dia (tick), for disc width 22-24mm (tick), up to 300mm disc dia (tick), radial mounted (tick), Dust seals NO (au bugger), and do Wilwood do one WITH dust seals , no. As I will be using the car on the roads mostly (will avoid the wet) I think dust seals are important, unless someone here can advise otherewise.

I did contact a manufacturer who offered a replacement Ali 4-pot calliper for the Jag XJ12 and when I asked for the piston dia he said it was 41mm and they don-t do 48mm (in my books that's a retro grade step as you have lost 37% clamping force), this does not inspire me with confidence in their products as surely it should be like-for-like at the very least.

So can you guys throw me some names of uk (to start off with) aluminium calliper manufacturers who make 4-pots, I-ve tried a few but no luck for either Rover SD1 or big Jags, you might just come-up with a name I-ve not found on the interweb.

Marek

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi-spec in Kent make their own 4 pot calipers,
    They'll even build you a complete disc/caliper set up if you give them your strut and chosen wheel.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks.
    Will send them an enquiry, as I thought all they do is what's on their web page.
    As for a spare strut and wheel physically sent to them, that's not on the cards (at the moment).
    I'll see if we can communicate via drawings at the moment (as it's something I've done in my professional past).

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict choppedblownpop's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another shout out for Hi- spec, I’ve had them on the front of my daily for nearly 160k,, not the cheapest, but reliable

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Landrover defenders dont have dust covers on the pistons, they normally survive 50k before there knacked, cant say i had any joy with Hispec, unhelpful and long wait for supply, i bought Willwood instead.
    If quitters never win, and winners never cheat, then who is the fool who said "Quit while you're ahead"

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    dont be put off by no dust seals on wilwoods.

i did read that their tolerances are so tight,that it dont really matter.i have wilwood on both my cars with no seals and cant say,ive ever had an issue.

if youre going to mod calipers,send them off to bigg red for refurb.they will just do the ones you send in.
    once done,chances are youre never need to redo them
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i've fitted several sets of wilwood calipers and never had any issues with a lack of dust seals. i'd recommend them.
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just cleaned the ten year old HiSpec 4 pots on my Capri struts and still like new.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi have a pair of Brembo 4 pot calipers off a Pug 406 Coupe, with new pads if you're looking for a set to adapt

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody, Mygasser & Rodster, re the no dust seals (or boots) advice, I've now come to the conclusion that todays aftermarket manufacturers produce their pistons in stainless steels which are much more resistant to corrosion issues (from electrolytic reaction from wet road salt) unlike the chrome plated piston of past which needed protection from winter wet road salts.
    On a plus note the stainless pots will also be impervious to any water in the brake fluid (badly maintained system) corroding the piston inside the caliper chamber.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information