Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I'm a grown up member now ! Wolselliac's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    WB54. Sounds interesting, what are the piston diameters?, and the disc sizes eg. overall dia and width (not that I will be using them, but to see if they will fit my discs).

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    A friend of mine has an SD1 track car abandoned in her barn, it raced at every track in Britain in the 90's in the TOYO tyres series, we put Princess calipers on that and worked great, thing is I dont know if you can still buy them now.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 68roadrunner View Post
    A friend of mine has an SD1 track car abandoned in her barn, it raced at every track in Britain in the 90's in the TOYO tyres series, we put Princess calipers on that and worked great, thing is I dont know if you can still buy them now.
    sure can https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...rt=nc&_udlo=56
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

I'm a grown up member now ! Wolselliac's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    68roadrunner. The Princess callipers have 38mm dia pistons (compared with the SD1 calliper pistons of 41mm dia) which will give less mechanical leverage (less clamping pressure), so not really big enough for my car. It would be interesting to know if your friend used green stuff or yellow brake pads.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post

if youre going to mod calipers,send them off to bigg red for refurb.they will just do the ones you send in.
    once done,chances are youre never need to redo them
    I’ve just watched these guys on an episode of Car SOS, they were rebuilding Porsche callipers. As much as you can tell on the telly box they do appear to be good at what they do and don’t look like a fly by night operation.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolselliac View Post
    WB54. Sounds interesting, what are the piston diameters?, and the disc sizes eg. overall dia and width (not that I will be using them, but to see if they will fit my discs).
    sorry just seen this, not sure on piston size but they work on a 305mm disc/ 28mm disc. I have the equivalent ones from an Alfa on my Capri, only switch to those as the mounting brackets were better spaced for the Capri leg.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dont get hung up on piston size/clamping force - it's more complicated than that. If you fit calipers with bigger pistons but dont also change outr the M/C to match you will end up with poorer brakes.

You would be better off looking at your M/C and also your servo. Altering the brake pedal pivot point can also make a difference.

You could probably just swap out to vented discs & calipers which you already have and then either fit a bigger servo or look at decreasing the bore size of the M/C (which will increase line pressure at the cost of a (slightly) longer pedal travel). It's all about the clamping force on the pads from the MC first (1100 Psi is where you are aiming for), fitting larger diameter discs with the same calipers will also increase braking efficiency.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information