Any auto sparkies in da house?
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

 
Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wareham, Dorset
    Posts
    185
    Images
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    yukonphil is offline

    Any auto sparkies in da house?

    Sea trials of my completed Suzuki X90 rebody are going well, apart from a tendancy for the battery to die if left for a few days. Brand new battery, terminals clean and tight, alternator light doesn't come on, only just started this morn but after a short run it has started several times since, nothing really in the system that could drain it that I'm aware of, no clock, no radio, she's as basic as they come. The only other factor worth mentioning is that I have relocated the battery to the boot. Any suggestions very welcome, thanks, Phil.
    Last edited by yukonphil; 15-09-2020 at 17:43.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Off the Xmas card list kapri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    23,737
    Images
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    kapri is online now
    If yo have an AVOmeter it's quite simple to find out where the leak is .

    Remove your negative terminal and connect the AVO between battery and terminal . With everything switched off you shouldn't see a reading ( 12volt scale ) . Witha constatntly 'on' you will . Then pop round to your fuse box and pull a fuse at a time while watching the meter . When the AVO reads zero you now know which circuit is constantly live.

    Put the fuse back in and one by one pull off the live feed to each item on that circuit until the power goes off again . Then 'simply' find the fault.

    My money is on when you wired the relays for the wipers you wired the operating power direct from battery rather than from switched ignition . This would mean the relays are constantly engaged and will quickly ru your battery down...now why do I know that ?

  4. #3
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wareham, Dorset
    Posts
    185
    Images
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    yukonphil is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    If yo have an AVOmeter it's quite simple to find out where the leak is .

    Remove your negative terminal and connect the AVO between battery and terminal . With everything switched off you shouldn't see a reading ( 12volt scale ) . Witha constatntly 'on' you will . Then pop round to your fuse box and pull a fuse at a time while watching the meter . When the AVO reads zero you now know which circuit is constantly live.

    Put the fuse back in and one by one pull off the live feed to each item on that circuit until the power goes off again . Then 'simply' find the fault.

    My money is on when you wired the relays for the wipers you wired the operating power direct from battery rather than from switched ignition . This would mean the relays are constantly engaged and will quickly ru your battery down...now why do I know that ?
    Thanks Kev, I'll try that tomorrow, is that just a multimeter you are referring to? Not too hopefull on the wipers though, I'm fairly sure they are wired to what was the heater as it had a nice fat supply wire BUT I do know that I can hear a relay click off when I disconnect the battery even with the ignition off so you may well be right. Have also got a killswitch in the system so am seeing if that works too but obviously want to find the fault. Thanks again.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Official RnS Addict thisYup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    garden of England
    Posts
    588
    Images
    27
    Post Thanks / Like
    thisYup is offline
    a multimeter on current setting will do. put it on the 10A range to start with (just to save blowing a fuse in the multimeter until you know just how big the current draw is!) and monitor the current being drawn out of the battery.

    pull fuses til the current draw drops to nothing (as you have no radio or clock) then see whats downstream of the particular fuse...

  7. #5
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wareham, Dorset
    Posts
    185
    Images
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    yukonphil is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by thisYup View Post
    a multimeter on current setting will do. put it on the 10A range to start with (just to save blowing a fuse in the multimeter until you know just how big the current draw is!) and monitor the current being drawn out of the battery.

    pull fuses til the current draw drops to nothing (as you have no radio or clock) then see whats downstream of the particular fuse...
    It's a bit obvious once you've been told! Thanks chaps, got a feeling it will be sorted tomorrow, cracking forum this

  8. #6
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wareham, Dorset
    Posts
    185
    Images
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    yukonphil is offline
    So, the relay that is on even with the ignition off is the hazard lights but I'm thinking this might be correct?

  9. #7
    I'm a grown up member now ! Mals32b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Whitworth
    Posts
    42
    Images
    1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mals32b is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonphil View Post
    So, the relay that is on even with the ignition off is the hazard lights but I'm thinking this might be correct?
    Disconnect that for now and see if the problem goes away.

    I have side lights and the hazards wired independently of the battery kill switch, so I can kill electrics and still have them working in the event of a failure on the roadside. I dont have a drain from the relay though (However i do have diodes fitted for other reasons which may help me)

    Mal

  10. #8
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wareham, Dorset
    Posts
    185
    Images
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    yukonphil is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Mals32b View Post
    Disconnect that for now and see if the problem goes away.

    I have side lights and the hazards wired independently of the battery kill switch, so I can kill electrics and still have them working in the event of a failure on the roadside. I dont have a drain from the relay though (However i do have diodes fitted for other reasons which may help me)

    Mal
    Yep, was thinking exactly that, will take the fuse out until I get the chance to check everything else. Very helpful comment about the sidelights too, that answers a question I didn't even ask, 10/10 on your mind reading abilities!

  11. #9
    Official RnS Addict thisYup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    garden of England
    Posts
    588
    Images
    27
    Post Thanks / Like
    thisYup is offline
    is the 'relay' the actual hazard flasher unit, or a relay feeding the hazard circuit....? not normally set up to have a relay permanently on cos, you know, it flattens the battery after a couple of days...

  12. #10
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wareham, Dorset
    Posts
    185
    Images
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    yukonphil is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by thisYup View Post
    is the 'relay' the actual hazard flasher unit, or a relay feeding the hazard circuit....? not normally set up to have a relay permanently on cos, you know, it flattens the battery after a couple of days...
    Err, further to my earlier reply that I've just deleted, it would appear that I am in fact a complete idiot with a spectacular inability to count to 2 . Right, so the 'hazard' relay is actually the central locking relay which must be feeling awfully lonely in the loom since I chopped out all of it's associated wiring last Christmas, easiest thing to do now is leave the fuse out and see if that cures the problem. Many thanks for all the helpful post's. Anyone in the Wareham area that would like to pop round and knock some sense into me just drop me a PM
    Last edited by yukonphil; 16-09-2020 at 18:03. Reason: Stupidity

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may post new threads
    • You may post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •