Anyone able to come and see engine running?
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone able to come and see engine running?

(old pic)

Its a 400 SBC with 6-71 blower.
    I just fitted a new crankshaft, while it was apart I had the rotating stuff balanced.
    The company doing the balancing work did not inspire confidence.
    Now its all back together, I'm convinced its way out of balance. Engine runs nicely, but terrible vibration, not so much at tickover, more as revs increase.

Big dilemma - do i pull it all apart again and send off to a trustworthy company to check balancing?

or could there be something I have missed.

Its crunch time, but I dont wanna make wrong decision.
    Really would love someone to see it, hear it, and give your opinion.
    I'm happy to pay for your fuel / time etc.

Thanks for reading
    Ian
    I may live in East London, I may have a number plate that reads "Chopt", but I do NOT use 6" wheel spacers!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    go with your gut feel, you know it ain't right, save yourself the agro and just pull it. Send it somewhere reputable but don't go telling them the history. See what they say balancing it afresh.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i would run it up with out the blower first and if its an auto don,t forget to recheck converter bolts
    If quitters never win, and winners never cheat, then who is the fool who said "Quit while you're ahead"

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    ian, for the time it'll take knock the 400 specific balance weight off of the flex plate and try it again. if it's not that just weld it back on when you take the motor out..... again. i've had it more than once, just saying.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has it always had this imbalance ? Is the dizzy new and electronic ? Doe sit feel like an underlying growl ?

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    A video might help folk with diagnosis? Then again a shakey engine is a shakey engine...

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    ian, for the time it'll take knock the 400 specific balance weight off of the flex plate and try it again. if it's not that just weld it back on when you take the motor out..... again. i've had it more than once, just saying.
    Ian,
    This sounds well worth doing, just in case all that heavy metal inserted in the crank webs that you were telling me about last week has converted the crank to internal balance. if it is better without the flywheel weight, fit a neutral balance vibration damper and see if that improves it again.

But if that does fix the problem, it certainly raises even bigger questions about the quality/competence of the balancing work.
    Stuart.
    My website: Isn't working at the moment
    My Intro

Compulsive chicken choker English Impala's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can offer no guidance whatsoever due to a medical condition that brings me out in a rash of stupidity whenever the internals of an engine need precision, BUT when I had my 302 internals balanced it was done with the entire assembly including the flex plate, the flex plate weight needed considerable lightening to balance it all.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stueeee View Post
    Ian,
    This sounds well worth doing, just in case all that heavy metal inserted in the crank webs that you were telling me about last week has converted the crank to internal balance. if it is better without the flywheel weight, fit a neutral balance vibration damper and see if that improves it again.

But if that does fix the problem, it certainly raises even bigger questions about the quality/competence of the balancing work.
    If Mallory metal has been added to the counterweights, it HAS been internally balanced, you had better not use it if the dampner and flexplate/conv have weights on, it will twist the mains out of sync in the block or break the crank.
    I have this problem at the moment with a 900hp Dodge Ram, my friend has just had to import a £1500 McLeod twin plate clutch for it and we dont know if the fkn engine is IB or not as the engine has a K1 billet crank in it and was build on another Continent...right fkn pain to find out..grrr..LOL

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 68roadrunner View Post
    If Mallory metal has been added to the counterweights, it HAS been internally balanced, you had better not use it if the dampner and flexplate/conv have weights on, it will twist the mains out of sync in the block or break the crank.
    I have this problem at the moment with a 900hp Dodge Ram, my friend has just had to import a £1500 McLeod twin plate clutch for it and we dont know if the fkn engine is IB or not as the engine has a K1 billet crank in it and was build on another Continent...right fkn pain to find out..grrr..LOL
    You could well be right re the crank now being internal balance. There is a real long story behind this, which is Ian's place to tell (or not) But AFAIK, Ian provided the weighted flexplate and damper as well as the other bits for balancing. So it would be a bit bizarre if the guy has converted the crank to internal balance in the first place, even more bizarre to do that without converting the flexplate and damper to neutral balance at the same time. However, just because something is bizarre it doesn't mean it couldn't have happened
    Last edited by stueeee; 07-04-2017 at 08:52. Reason: more added.
    Stuart.
    My website: Isn't working at the moment
    My Intro

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information