Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can offer no real advise save for

The company doing the balancing work did not inspire confidence.
    If you think that then you kind of know in your heart that is the problem's source

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, if he's used to doing Euro stuff that may be internally balanced he could've thought to himself "why has the owner given me these bits?" and just left them in the box. As I said removing the flexplate weight will confirm it either way. If it's better but not quite then a 350 balancer should sort it (once machined for the second keyway to suit the blower).
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the comments.

I tried to video it running with my phone, but I think they have anti shake technology or something, vidoe doesnt show it shaking (no, I'm not imagining it!)

I dont have relevant bits to run it without blower, and I dont believe thats the problem. Ive tried running it briefly with belts off and it still shakes.

Converter bolts all nice and tight.

Heavy metal added to external parts, front external balance pulley and flex plate.

Prior to this the engine ran fine. I just needed to fit a new crankshaft and decided to get all rotating parts balanced.

The company who did the balancing quoted £200 but eventually charged over £700.
    They asked for the old crank to look at because they were puzzled.
    They said it couldnt be balanced - too light already. I then had to get Real Steel to talk to their balancing guy to tell him how to do it.
    Hence my lack of confidence in their work.

I think I have little choice at this point other than to strip it down and get Real Steel to check it out. If the first company are at fault, maybe RS can write a report which i can use to make a claim.

But before i do bite the bullet and rip it all out it would be nice to get a second opinion, that's why I was asking for someone to take a look. I'm happy to pay for your fuel/time.
    Last edited by Taxirod; 07-04-2017 at 16:48.
    I may live in East London, I may have a number plate that reads "Chopt", but I do NOT use 6" wheel spacers!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    if all they did was add metal to the flexplate and damper then remove said 'added metal' and try again mate. what have you got to lose against what you have to gain. was the original setup balanced? so worst way it'll be as before which you said ran fine.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Before thinking the worse and cracking the motor open, run the engine and pull the plug wires off one by one and see if one makes no difference to the engine running. Could be as simple as one cylinder not firing.
    It's just that even the most incompetent machine shop would have trouble mis-balancing a crank to such an extent that it vibrated at idle.
    Do the free and easy checks first.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you plan on recovering cash dont go pulling off bits of metal that they put on there.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NMNeil View Post
    Before thinking the worse and cracking the motor open, run the engine and pull the plug wires off one by one and see if one makes no difference to the engine running. Could be as simple as one cylinder not firing.
    It's just that even the most incompetent machine shop would have trouble mis-balancing a crank to such an extent that it vibrated at idle.
    That can be painful, I use an old spray bottle filled with water and spray a mist on each header, the one that doesn't evaporate isn't firing but taxirod uses a heat sensor gun. I was thinking the same about it being so badly out of balance it'd shake so much, I've had a couple of 6 cylinder Jaguar engines still run with a broken crank and they don't vibrate as much as Ian is describing.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo56 View Post
    That can be painful, I use an old spray bottle filled with water and spray a mist on each header, the one that doesn't evaporate isn't firing but taxirod uses a heat sensor gun. I was thinking the same about it being so badly out of balance it'd shake so much, I've had a couple of 6 cylinder Jaguar engines still run with a broken crank and they don't vibrate as much as Ian is describing.
    While in the trade I made a very simple checker, but it's not really to be recommended.
    Took an old screwdriver and ground the last 1/2" down to the size of a darning needle. Soldered a wire to the side and put a crocodile clip on the other end of the wire. Put the clip onto a good ground then pierced the plug cap or the cap on the distributor, whichever was easiest. This shorted the wire to ground in safety. A dab of silicone grease on the tiny hole I made afterwards. always though I would get arching later on, but never did.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fall-apart-dave View Post
    If you plan on recovering cash dont go pulling off bits of metal that they put on there.
    Yes, thats my thinking.
    I may live in East London, I may have a number plate that reads "Chopt", but I do NOT use 6" wheel spacers!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NMNeil View Post
    Yes Ive tried that, you can hear revs drop when any lead pulled off, so it seems all 8 firing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information