Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

B&M shifter to rover autobox

Still exploring my choice of shifters for a bw35 'box. Might go with a dressed up standard rod shifter from something, but would prefer something a bit more race-friendly.

I read Rover V8 Mikes pop build thread over on the NSRA forum who tried fitting one to a 65, but he never had much luck with getting the detents matched because on his megashifter the detents were not all equidistant. However, is this going to be a problem on a bw35 aswell? I have heard a lot about Gennie and Lokar shifters working, but they are big £££££ and are not actually that ideal for what I want.

Has anybody here successfully used a B&M shifter, like a quicksilver or mega shifter, on a 35?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi - used a Quicksilver on my BW65 - just had to play around with bracket lengths until it selected everything ok - great shifter once fitted.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Morecubes View Post
    Hi - used a Quicksilver on my BW65 - just had to play around with bracket lengths until it selected everything ok - great shifter once fitted.
    Got any pictures? When you say bracket lengths, do you mean the lengths of the arm and lever, or the brackets to mount the cable or the shifter itself?

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    we used a b&m shifter on our gm180 box with rover v8, we had to experiment with diffrent lenght selector arm/bracket thingies on the box to get the correct operation, but worked fine when we,d sorted it
    i want cubic inches! lots of em!!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by harris66 View Post
    we used a b&m shifter on our gm180 box with rover v8, we had to experiment with diffrent lenght selector arm/bracket thingies on the box to get the correct operation, but worked fine when we,d sorted it
    Did you not need to modifiy the shift gate detents or anything?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroprock View Post
    Did you not need to modifiy the shift gate detents or anything?
    nope not on our set up, cant comment on the bw 35 but it did take a bit of messing about
    i want cubic inches! lots of em!!

Exceeded sell by date Plumpcars's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    When you look at a B&M shifter plate(The piece that is bolted to the gearbox shift rod) it has multiple holes for the various American gearboxes. This allows a different amount of throw from the shifter cable so that the detents line up. If you either make a new plate or modify the B&M one you should be able to get everything aligned for each gear position.
    You could start by putting a piece of card where the shifter plate should be.You would need to put the shifter in each position and then move the shift arm on the box to the corresponding position and mark the card where the cable would bolt on in each position. A bit of juggling should allow you to find a hole position which keeps the two corresponding in each position. Not sure I've explained that well enough but getting under there and having a go will work.
    If you want to shift the box manually at any time then the Lokars and Gennie's are crap,, especially when you try to drive hard.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumpcars View Post
    When you look at a B&M shifter plate(The piece that is bolted to the gearbox shift rod) it has multiple holes for the various American gearboxes. This allows a different amount of throw from the shifter cable so that the detents line up. If you either make a new plate or modify the B&M one you should be able to get everything aligned for each gear position.
    You could start by putting a piece of card where the shifter plate should be.You would need to put the shifter in each position and then move the shift arm on the box to the corresponding position and mark the card where the cable would bolt on in each position. A bit of juggling should allow you to find a hole position which keeps the two corresponding in each position. Not sure I've explained that well enough but getting under there and having a go will work.
    If you want to shift the box manually at any time then the Lokars and Gennie's are crap,, especially when you try to drive hard.
    That makes sense. Thanks, I'll see how I get on.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Having been faced with this problem many times way back when I found the simplest way of getting the shifter cable hole position correct in the trans lever was to knock up an overlong temporary lever with a slot like an alternator bracket. The slot allows micro adjustments. Once your happy that when the shifter is in a given position the trans is EXACTLY in the corresponding position mark the cable anchor position on the temporary lever. All you have to do then is transfer that info over to a new permanent lever replacing the slot with just one hole.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information