Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

'Back dating' a Rover V8 Engine

About the best title i can think of.
    I have a 4ltr Rover motor with a serpentine belt system i want to change back to conventional rotation if that makes sense.
    I don't need power steering etc and also currently still need to purchase an alternator so am changing out the waterpump for a P6 version and changing the bottom pulley for an older style v belt one too.In doing so do i need to change the timing cover for the older version or will the later one it currently has be ok ?
    Planning ahead am wondering about bottom pulley seal and will there be anything else to come across.

Regards Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict players no 6's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by white van man View Post
    About the best title i can think of.
    I have a 4ltr Rover motor with a serpentine belt system i want to change back to conventional rotation if that makes sense.
    I don't need power steering etc and also currently still need to purchase an alternator so am changing out the waterpump for a P6 version and changing the bottom pulley for an older style v belt one too.In doing so do i need to change the timing cover for the older version or will the later one it currently has be ok ?
    Planning ahead am wondering about bottom pulley seal and will there be anything else to come across.

Regards Dave
    dont forget the distributor,that may be a problem with the oil pump gear drive,which is different on the p6 and sd1

Official RnS Addict BlueGenePop's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think all the serpentine belt engines used the crank driven oil pump inside the front cover, this is vastly superior to the inherited Buick pump even after it was upgraded for the SD1 engines, and is worth keeping for that alone.
    Is the engine distributor equiped? If so you have the rare intermediate front cover, which was only used for 18 months and is a very sought after conversion. This is because you can fit any performance cam with a little bit of machining to it, it has the best o/pump.
    John Eals Developments was very helpful when I was running Rovers
    Counting miles counting tears
    Twisted road shifting gears
    Year after year, It's all or nothing

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    You got me thinking now,am sure it has a dizzy.Its a 1995 8000mile TVR built lump from a Chimera but its wrapped up and i cant get to it to check at the moment.Am trying to get some extra clearance at the front of the engine.
    Its intended home is in an 1987 VW Transporter T3.Mated to a Renault UN1 Gearbox with a proper bell housing not an adaptor plate.Space being dictated by where the gearbox sits and i don't want anything poking out the back like in some horrendous conversions,and i have bought at great expense a cable shifter kit for the UN1 in a bus so don't want to move the box further into the van

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you're really pushed for space at the front of the motor you could use a separate belt driven water pump like this setup that I have on the RV8 motor in one of my cars.

You could also use an electric water pump. There is a kit available which makes this a bolt on conversion.
    Stuart.
    My website: Isn't working at the moment
    My Intro

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stueeeeeee , where can i find more info related to the remote water pump set up in the picture ? i did wonder if it was on your website shown in your avator but couldn't find out anything

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by white van man View Post
    Stueeeeeee , where can i find more info related to the remote water pump set up in the picture ? i did wonder if it was on your website shown in your avator but couldn't find out anything
    There is a bit about the remote water pump on my site on this page. Millpower-Race-Engineering But the setup is basically a European Ford V6 pump that I hooked up by welding some curved Aluminium tubes to the back plate of the pump. It cools the motor no problem. If I was doing this conversion right now, I would look round for a more modern separate style water pump as the Essex V6 ones aren't commonly available these days.
    Stuart.
    My website: Isn't working at the moment
    My Intro

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information