Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Battery position

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  hellblue 
#1 ·
Looking to reposition battery on a van, thinking of bolting it down behind drivers seat and boxing it in with MDF, with a vent through floor to vent any nasty gasses.

Am I missing anything here ?

Will I fall foul of any MOT regs ?

Thanks in advance

#3 ·
Hmm, slight hijack so apologies to chevy chaser - I was planning to move battery into either boot or maybe under rear seat. i hadn't really thought about any mot or venting (execpt i know it needs to be secure) so whats the general do's and don'ts then?
Also is there a kit for relocating?

#8 ·
They started that in 57 with a Thames. It was a feature in those days.

#6 · (Edited)
I've remounted mine behind the bench seat in the truck, I have accidentally found a brilliant battery box for it, went to the local breakers for a proper box and baseplate, second car I lifted the bonnet on was a rover 75, Not kidding guys, you could not design a better item, steel base plate, with bolt holes to mount, this sits inside a plastic 5 sided box with cut outs for leads, and a fixable top with vents and an adjustable strap to secure the battery in the box. Its brilliant, all for £5, mind you the yard I go to, the old and I mean old, guy who owns it, still prices stuff like the 60s and 70s.
As regards mot, its just got to be secure and have no bare wires showing. position is up to you, I wanted it inside as now the truck is diesel, heavy outdoor condensation seems to take its toll on batteries.

#21 ·
For what its worth, i would'nt fancy being strapped in my seat upside down after an accident with sulfuric acid running up my legs ! also an overcharged battery can give off anough hydrogen that when mixed with oxygen becomes a time bomb, a small spark can ignite the gas and cause the battery to explode ! & did'nt the sailors in early subs suffer frome the fumes of charging batteries (yes i know a sub is a bit more air tight than a car !)
Jast a thought though ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.