Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Bleeding brakes, having a nightmare

Any advice on this will be gratefully received, I have a 1977 Chevy C10 pick up, I have just fitted new front brake calipers which went fine, the problem is getting them up to pressure, I have been bleeding them for best part of the day and to start with i could get good pressure, but once i fired the engine up the pedal would go right to the floor.

Several attempts later and still no pressure, I have been told by a very good local fella that I still have air in the system and i have no doubt that he is right, but does any one have any tricks to doing bleeding or is an easy bleed kit available for a chevy master cylinder as my GF has had enough of me saying hold down now pump etc lol.

Thanks in advance

Rob

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

TechnicalTom
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any chance of a few photos of the installed calipers, Just to help eliminate things the bleed nipples been on the bottom!!!! no disrespect here. Also the routing of the flexible hoses.A few tips I could suggest would be to reverse bleed the calipers, what I use is an old " squirty" type oil can ( very clean) and use some clear plastic pipe so you can see no air bubbles are been sent into the calipers,just fill the can with clean unused brake fluid of the correct spec s , DOT 4 or 5 ETC. then connect the tube/pipe to the loosened bleed nipple, repeat on the other side, put some rags around the master cylinder in case fluid overflows ,( the cap is off for this excersize ) just pump the ( oil can) lever gently 1/2 a dozen times should do , then lock the bleed nipple without removing the pipe .
    Some times I open both back bleed nipples ,then bleed the fronts , then bleed the backs. I have even seen some fellow mechanics ( Technicans nowadays) jack up the front of the vehicle whilst bleeding difficult stuff.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you just swap the calipers over without the master cylinder draining down? If not there could now be air in the m/cyl. and it could now need bench bleeding, or pressure bleeding. Have you got a factory service manual? I did have one for my old '79 but I'd have to have a hunt around to see if I still have it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    As above for starters . I also worked on a 77 Buick which refused to bleed. Turned out there was a pressure limiting type valve in the rear line and it had to be bled in a certain order for it to 'shuttle' to teh correct position to make them all work.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies gents, ok here we go with a bit more info, sorry no photos as yet coz i wrapped it all up for another day, the bleed nipples are on the top side of the caliper's and the calipers are marked left and right, taking it that the left is drivers side, I did not drain the master, I simply disconnected the flexi pipe replaced the calpiers then reconnected the pipes with new copper washers, then started to bleed, topping up the master as required.

The flexi lines bolt up to the chassis and the fixed line is connected at that point, the flexi then runs along the wishbone and it is clamped about half way down the wishbone, then it connects to the calipers, I did one side at a time to insure that I has a pattern to follow should I not be paying attention lol.

I was told that as the brakes are dual circuit that there is no need to bleed the rears, I was given dot 3 fluid buy the shop, they also supplied the calipers, I hope this gives a better picture, and I thank you for your help so far

All the best
    Rob

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The rears still need bleeding also .

Official RnS Addict bigyellataxi's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Fueled by Jim and Luckies.
    Still doing all the shit I used to ;-)

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks paul67, I have just found my haynes manual and that says exactly that, so I will give that a try during the coming week and see what happens, but please if any one has anything else to add I am all ears, and thank you all for the help so far

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bought one of these off Fleabay a while back, money well spent it makes brake bleeding a doddle especially when your by yourself.

Sealey Car/Bike Brake/Clutch Fluid Vacuum Bleeder VS020 | eBay

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use the Gunson pressure bleeding gadget, works every time although the bottle is a bit small

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information