+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

UnhappyBlown tail light fuse, that keeps blowing, 1991 Camaro RS

Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone could help.

I recently bought a 1991 Camaro RS. It has the 5.0 TBI in it. Anyway after extensive work everything was running fine so I popped down to Cornwall to pick it up off my dad. I live in Scotland so today I drove it back. Everything was sweet handled the drive no problem at all! Ran smooth sounded great, lights all worked inc dash lights.

The bad bit: at some stage my tail light fuse went. I have brake lights and indicators and my interior light works but, my dash light which illuminates the speedo etc doesn't work nor does the tail lights and fog light. I changed the fuse and it immediately popped the new fuse too!

Can anyone give me any advice on where I should be looking or has anyone else had this problem? I live in Dunfermline and if I can't resolve it is there any good places to take it? I'm gutted cuz 1. I can't drive at night, 2. My Dads the mechanic not me n he is 580 miles away!

I'm sure it's not a major thing and thanks for your help in advance!! If you need more info to go on let me know !

Kai

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the fault has just appeared make a visual inspection of all visible wiring back as far as the switch. If you are able to disconnect a section of the wiring that runs to the back of the car it may indicate whether the fault lies in that section if another fuse blows or doesn't blow. If you don't feel confident to do any of this take it to an auto electrician.
    Greatest discombobulations to all my readers.

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips. So there are no common faults that spring to mind? I will be looking for potential shorts tonight.

I also wonder, just in case, if anyone knows any auto electricians in the Dunfermline area?

Thanks again for your response!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Check the bulb!
    Blown bulbs can sometime cause a short. Take the bulb out and try a fuse, if ok then its the bulb. If not ok then you need to look further.

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice! I'll check that tonight too!!

Thanks guys. All info and any further info is greatly appreciated!

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I checked the wiring diagram. The fog lights are on a separate circuit from the tail lights, but the circuit for the rear lights also feeds the front side lights. Do they work?. The reason I ask is that cars of that age tend to have been 'modified' to bypass rather than fix electrical problems.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my experience the tail lights are common to both the side lights and headlights according to the switch position but the headlights may be on a separate fuse so you don't lose all lights with just one fuse blow. Make sure it is the correct rated fuse and correct wattage bulbs but don't be tempted to put in a too high number fuse or you will burn wiring.
    Greatest discombobulations to all my readers.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Camaro's have a circuit breaker on the headlamps - no fuse.
    I Have a full Chevrolet workshop manual for sale for 87-Camaro's about 2" thick with pretty well everything you ever need to know if you are interested?

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK thanks guys for the help with my son (and the offer of the manual he could be interested in he likes books but is not mechanically minded) He's an scientist but not very practical so I think he will need a more help so if anyone can suggest a mechanic that is used to working on yanks or auto electrician please. I am trying to help him via a video link but its throwing him in at the deep end and it looks like I may have to fly 600 miles to do it if he cant get a bit of help. I know he could just take it to a garage but this has worked out very expensive for him in the past 6 years with a Nissan so it probably wont end well if he rolls up in a Camaro. Thanks Kevin.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ooohhh electrical gremlins.

You need to do what's called the "Split Half" or "Half Split" technique. There will be a shorted wire somewhere most likely. But the only way to find it is to take things out until the fuses doesn't blow. Difficult to talk you through without the car in front of me, but it just needs you to be methodical and logical.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information