Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    To save keep blowing fuses when trying to locate the fault I replace the fuse with a low wattage bulb. Remove the fuse, get a bulb holder and bulb now connect one side of the bulb to one side of the fuse holder and the other side of the bulb to the other side of the fuse holder. If it is shorting to earth then the bulb will light up. Now if you start nearest the fuse holder and move the tail light wiring about or disconnect parts of it the bulb will eventually go out which will give you a better idea where the fault is. If you are stuck for a bulb holder you can get a RX86T holder and a WL81C bulb from Maplins that will do the job.
    Last edited by brading; 28-02-2017 at 10:55.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brading View Post
    To save keep blowing fuses when trying to locate the fault I replace the fuse with a low wattage bulb. Remove the fuse, get a bulb holder and bulb now connect one side of the bulb to one side of the fuse holder and the other side of the bulb to the other side of the fuse holder. If it is shorting to earth then the bulb will light up. Now if you start nearest the fuse holder and move the tail light wiring about or disconnect parts of it the bulb will eventually go out which will give you a better idea where the fault is. If you are stuck for a bulb holder you can get a RX86T holder and a WL81C bulb from Maplins that will do the job.
    Maybe add a couple of small crocodile clips to the list and you have a handy test lamp that will always come in handy. I made one up xxxx years ago and I still use it when necessary to check a circuit.
    Greatest discombobulations to all my readers.

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys, thanks!

Fall apart Dave, that is kind of what we were trying to do but I panic an lose my bottle when I'm about to cut a wire in case it's a super important one. Hence my Dads suggestion I expect haha.

Black pop racing how much would you be looking for the book? As you can see i need to do all the reading I can!!

Thanks again all!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you brading and perfect 65.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    PM'd you about the manual.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kpaul View Post
    Hi guys, thanks!

Fall apart Dave, that is kind of what we were trying to do but I panic an lose my bottle when I'm about to cut a wire in case it's a super important one. Hence my Dads suggestion I expect haha.

Black pop racing how much would you be looking for the book? As you can see i need to do all the reading I can!!

Thanks again all!
    Don't cut wires, find where they terminate and disconnect. Electronics is my background, but these sorts of things are much easier to "show" than "tell". When you find the fault it will annoy the life out of you because it will likely be something small, simple, obvious and easy to sort. But getting there will take time.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fixed it with him via whats app video link at the week end which dragged me kicking and screaming into this centry, anyway thanks too modern techno witchcraft he is driving around Dunferline with a big smile, thanks for all the replies and I'm sure he will be on here again and at any local meet's, Cheer's Kevin.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fall-apart-dave View Post
    Don't cut wires, find where they terminate and disconnect. Electronics is my background, but these sorts of things are much easier to "show" than "tell". When you find the fault it will annoy the life out of you because it will likely be something small, simple, obvious and easy to sort. But getting there will take time.
    I built a simple short detector many many years ago. No idea where it is now or even my original design, but with an electronics background you should understand the description.
    Used a 555 in astable mode to generate, I think about 100Khz at 10 mA. Chose the frequency to stop any indicative coupling and negate any stray capacitance. Fed the square wave into the shorted side of the fuse. The receiver circuit was stuck inside a cheap analog multimeter which had a lead to a ferrite rod ariel from an old transistor radio. Fed the ariel output into one of the amps in an LM358, first as a voltage follower, then amplified with negative feedback on the other amp then into a germanium diode and small cap as a peak voltage detector. All the time the ariel was picking up the square wave the 358 would output about 1 volt. When the output stopped or diminished it meant the signal was going to ground, or where it wasn't supposed to go. Saved a lot of time tearing up carpets or removing the dash to follow wires.
    Surprised that you can't buy something like it, it was very simple and worked very well.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pah! View Post
    Fixed it with him via whats app video link at the week end which dragged me kicking and screaming into this centry, anyway thanks too modern techno witchcraft he is driving around Dunferline with a big smile, thanks for all the replies and I'm sure he will be on here again and at any local meet's, Cheer's Kevin.
    can you break the suspense and tell us what the fault was just for the record.
    Greatest discombobulations to all my readers.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NMNeil View Post
    I built a simple short detector many many years ago. No idea where it is now or even my original design, but with an electronics background you should understand the description.
    Used a 555 in astable mode to generate, I think about 100Khz at 10 mA. Chose the frequency to stop any indicative coupling and negate any stray capacitance. Fed the square wave into the shorted side of the fuse. The receiver circuit was stuck inside a cheap analog multimeter which had a lead to a ferrite rod ariel from an old transistor radio. Fed the ariel output into one of the amps in an LM358, first as a voltage follower, then amplified with negative feedback on the other amp then into a germanium diode and small cap as a peak voltage detector. All the time the ariel was picking up the square wave the 358 would output about 1 volt. When the output stopped or diminished it meant the signal was going to ground, or where it wasn't supposed to go. Saved a lot of time tearing up carpets or removing the dash to follow wires.
    Surprised that you can't buy something like it, it was very simple and worked very well.
    You could have condensed that to "I made a voltage sniffer from a 555 chip" lol!
    Nice idea though, very nice idea! I like that! We used to use them when I worked as a comms engineer in the RAF for sniffing out signals and tracing cables in frame boxes (you'll have seem them when the BT man has it open, all those wires, millions of them, all the same colour! Nightmare!). I might jsut have to pinch that idea! ;o)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information