Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

brake master clyinder size ?

What i need to know is will a sigle 3/4 master clyinder be big enough for the folowing brake calipers ? Wilwood Dynalite 4 pots that have 4 x 1.380 diameter pistons and a pair of Citreon xantia front calipers these are the same as the Citreon BX that will be used for rear as they have the built in handbrake cable connection. There wil be a servo fitted.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Tig
    I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the larger of the 2 mopar alloy master cylinder. (1 1/32?). It doesnt create enough pressure unless I put 2 feet on the pedal ( manual, wil 4 pots and stock drums). Wilwood have recomended a smaller 7/8 master cylinder that should help. They have a good Q and A on thier site and reply promptly too you could give them a try.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE VIKING View Post
    What i need to know is will a sigle 3/4 master clyinder be big enough for the folowing brake calipers ? Wilwood Dynalite 4 pots that have 4 x 1.380 diameter pistons and a pair of Citreon xantia front calipers these are the same as the Citreon BX that will be used for rear as they have the built in handbrake cable connection. There wil be a servo fitted.
    Not even close I'm afraid . You don't really want to put any fronts on the rear as there are bigger than those designed to go on the rear biasing the braking to the rear too much. Best to use something like rears from Granada , Citroen, Golf .

Why single circuit ? Seems like the weak link after fitting all those discs ?

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Not even close I'm afraid . You don't really want to put any fronts on the rear as there are bigger than those designed to go on the rear biasing the braking to the rear too much. Best to use something like rears from Granada , Citroen, Golf .

Why single circuit ? Seems like the weak link after fitting all those discs ?
    I knew you would jump on this Kev that was what I was hoping as I have seen you with brake post in the past . The Citreon calipers that i have is the ones that people have used in the past for a rear 9 inch brake conversion so just went with that as its been done plenty of times before if these do offer to much braking to the rear can I not just fit a bias valve to reduce the braking ? So what do you suggest I do in the way of master clyinder Kev with the parts I have

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE VIKING View Post
    I knew you would jump on this Kev that was what I was hoping as I have seen you with brake post in the past . The Citreon calipers that i have is the ones that people have used in the past for a rear 9 inch brake conversion so just went with that as its been done plenty of times before if these do offer to much braking to the rear can I not just fit a bias valve to reduce the braking ? So what do you suggest I do in the way of master clyinder Kev with the parts I have

Yup, I know they've been used in the past , depends on what size fronts they have used with as to whether 'you' get away with it. Many of the conversions are on Yank motors so have much larger ( than Brit /upgrade aftermarket ) front calipers that allow it to self balance. I tend to see bias valves as a bit of a band aid, you don't see them on OEM apart from load self balancing ? Backing the pressure off sort of defeats why they were fitted in the first place ?

Back to basics then.

What car and are you stuck for space for a combined m/c /servo ? Also intended purpose ?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Car is a 100e engine is a 360 ci supercharged mopar front brake discs are 300 mm with the willwoods ford 9 in ch rear with the merc 126 discs and Citreon axantia calipers there is no space for a combined servo master

Thanks
    Last edited by THE VIKING; 23-01-2010 at 14:08.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, know where we are starting then What about servo /m/c bellcranked under dash ? The other way is twin m/c on a shared pedal ( per Wilwood style). you can also fit these with remote reservoirs and reverse mount m/c so they come back into the car. Uisng a 6.25 pedal ratio and 3/4 m/cs ( as each is supplying a seperate axle, the volume will be fine and pressure good without servo assist).

The feel of twin m/cs takes bit of getting used to when you are used to a servo but will work fine.It also provides you with 2 seeprate circuits so safer. It will also provide an inbuilt way of adjusting rear brake line pressure via the balance bar.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks foryour input Kev could you explain what a servo /m/c bellcranked under dash is and is this setup a dual circuit arrangment ?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think there might be some pictures in tech here somewhere already ? Basically it converts the forward push of the pedal via bellcrank to a 90 degree motion . This pushes on the rod going through the servo and to the twin circuit m/c. I did one on a T using Fiesta bell crank and bushes .

Many modern cars have a rod going from the drivers side across to the passengers side ( saves making too many RHD specific parts ) . You can rob the stuff from them. Imagine the car resting on the drivers side after a crash and that's how you'd fit the parts.

You could build in a degree of adjustability so you coud increase the pedal ratio by moving a pin.

Time to eat, I'll look for some piccies shortly if you haven't found them by then.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information