Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Brake proportioning valve & M/C help required!

883 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  kapri 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, me again, in my fathers 1965 Ford F-100 he has converted the front brakes to discs and have uprated the original brake master cylinder to that from a 1993 chevy G20 dayvan (originally an ABS system), including the servo unit.

Anyhow, here are the pics and i'll explain the problem afterwards:

Right, now the small reservoir at the front of the m/c has the larger pipe attaced to it and then feeds down to the valve where you see the letter 'F', not sure if this means Front or if its just some form of check sticker?
Anyhow the large reservoir at the rear of the m/c goes down the very small diameter feed pipe, also down to the valve, then exits the valve as shown.

Now, the problem is, why on earth would the front brakes be driven from the smaller tank at the front of the m/c, considering that the original vehicle it was removed from was also disc brakes on the front? Surely you need the larger tank at the rear of the m/c, and yet this only has a tiny pipe coming from from the back of it in relation to the front?

So, the question is, do i run the brakes from the smaller reserviour at the front of the m/c with the larger piping as it is or what? (or does the valve do something that i am unaware of?)

I'm very confused.com. :beuj:

Thanks for your time.

Marc

****EDIT****

Just found the original ABS pump from the G20:

Looking at this, there are three smaller pipes and two larger ones, i can only assume that the small pipes are feeding out towards both front calipers (1 pipe feed each) and the back must share a single feed to supply both of the rear drums!?

So, this surely means that i can connect the larger pipe from the front reservoir to feed the rear brakes and use the smaller diameter pipe from the larger rear reservoir to feed both of the front brakes, is this correct or am i going insane?

See less See more
#2 ·
No hands on experience on this one but the larger reservoir will be your discs ( due to volume required) . So yes front output to rear . The 'gubbins' is there to proportion the valve under braking but would obviously be set to deal with the weight of a dayvan rather than the lighter rear end on the pick up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.