Brake proportioning valve & M/C help required!
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Brake proportioning valve & M/C help required!

Hi guys, me again, in my fathers 1965 Ford F-100 he has converted the front brakes to discs and have uprated the original brake master cylinder to that from a 1993 chevy G20 dayvan (originally an ABS system), including the servo unit.

Anyhow, here are the pics and i'll explain the problem afterwards:

Right, now the small reservoir at the front of the m/c has the larger pipe attaced to it and then feeds down to the valve where you see the letter 'F', not sure if this means Front or if its just some form of check sticker?
    Anyhow the large reservoir at the rear of the m/c goes down the very small diameter feed pipe, also down to the valve, then exits the valve as shown.

Now, the problem is, why on earth would the front brakes be driven from the smaller tank at the front of the m/c, considering that the original vehicle it was removed from was also disc brakes on the front? Surely you need the larger tank at the rear of the m/c, and yet this only has a tiny pipe coming from from the back of it in relation to the front?

So, the question is, do i run the brakes from the smaller reserviour at the front of the m/c with the larger piping as it is or what? (or does the valve do something that i am unaware of?)

I'm very confused.com.

Thanks for your time.

Marc

****EDIT****

Just found the original ABS pump from the G20:

Looking at this, there are three smaller pipes and two larger ones, i can only assume that the small pipes are feeding out towards both front calipers (1 pipe feed each) and the back must share a single feed to supply both of the rear drums!?

So, this surely means that i can connect the larger pipe from the front reservoir to feed the rear brakes and use the smaller diameter pipe from the larger rear reservoir to feed both of the front brakes, is this correct or am i going insane?
    Last edited by Marc; 21-09-2011 at 10:55.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    No hands on experience on this one but the larger reservoir will be your discs ( due to volume required) . So yes front output to rear . The 'gubbins' is there to proportion the valve under braking but would obviously be set to deal with the weight of a dayvan rather than the lighter rear end on the pick up.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information