+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    In no order ...

Brake flexis replaced

brake drums swapped around side for side,

They are self energising short shoe has the lead ..

tyres are new and evenly worn, infact there aint no wear or feathering of the tread that would indicate a problem

Its a single circuit master cylinder , viz one pipe out the port to a splitter front to rear one supply pipe does all 4 corners, no dual circuit set up.

Master is for a drum drum application

I also shortened the push rod a couple of mil just incase it was some additional residual pressure, that made no difference either..

Pedal is stonkin , stomp on it and it stops the car straight and true, brake as if your nipping to the shops and it just gets progressively worse, real emergency undies type bad.... and as you keep pulling the wheel to the right to compensate for the pull, bring the car to a stop and then let the wheel go, it spins all the way to the left.... and it only does that under normal braking conditions ... Im convinced its steering /suspension, but cant get it in my head why the left brake would still be hotter than the right ...

and dont forget it did the same with a completely different brake set up ....

I can understand how suspension and steering geometry will make it vere in one direction when braking but I cant get it through my head why the brake would get hotter on that side as a result of bad geometry... is it a case of that corner having to do more as some weird physical force is pushing that corner harder ? ...One pedal, one system, shared fluid, how can more go to one side than the other ?

This one is giving me sleepless nights ..

I would go along with the geometry, Ive always thought it was, but ive never managed to convince my buddy of that , I dont think he would mind me saying hes a focused kinda chap..

Remember, this did exactly the same thing before the wilson welding set up and buick drums were fitted.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did tentatively suggest that we strip and rebuild the car, doing the measuring set up and replacements as we went along.. To me thats the only way to go without chasing your tail.. sounds drastic but its just a trad style A coupe strip it in a day and rebuild it over the next 5 years ... sorted...

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only other thing re brake overheating is problem with bearings themselves building heat .

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't want to sound stupid but are the springs in the drum all correct. I manage to put mine back in the wrong way and it was catching on the shoe making one bind
    I'm not the best welder in the world.... but I'm in the top 5!

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    bearings were stripped cleaned in degreaser, closely examined ( I did consider bearing pickup) repacked, a job I hate doing , and rebuilt.when I swapped the bits around yesterday I checked the bearings again and they were still packed and in order.

No such thing as a daft answer, springs were all back in there correct position...

remember it did this with a completely different brake set up with all different components before the new set up was fitted. "new set up" is probably not an accurate description as it was used on another car previously and it braked perfectly...

I cant see how it can be a brake issue when

A) It had the same problem with a completely different brake set up

B) swapping the current parts from side to side and replacing other components doesnt make the slightest difference

but I dont understand why the one side gets hotter than the other

I can see why it would pull to one side if there was a geometry issue, but I dont understand how the dodgy geometry causes brake on the side it pulls to get hotter .... ?

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    What if you do it in reverse?....does the brake get hot or does it pull when braking gently?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would confirm that the brakes are plumbed into the correct ports on the master cylinder it is possible that a rear port is plumbed to a front which would account for the difference in temperatures.
    Paradise is full of idiots who believe it exists - Georges Wolinski
    I Think Therefore I Am - René Descartes

www.nothingbeingadvertisedhere.com

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Take it to m.o.t station and do a brake test on the rollers??
    I'm not the best welder in the world.... but I'm in the top 5!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^^^^ Exactly what I was about to say.

On the rollers you can try all the different styles of braking and see what's happening - this will at least eliminate the brakes if they are not the problem.
    As an aside - were the brake shoes replaced with the new brakes? if not could it be different materials - one 'grips' better than the other?

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by german8rcoupe View Post
    What if you do it in reverse?....does the brake get hot or does it pull when braking gently?
    Thats interesting .. the adjusters work on this set up when you reverse.. sounds daft but thats how they work... I reversed it down the street braking often , both hard and light and it brakes straight ... ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information