Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

C4 rebuild -any advice on rebuild kits / DVDs / suppliers of cheap Type F oil?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  old pizz yella 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

i have a 1956 Ford F100 truck with a 1976 Ford 302 and C4 from a passenger car.

My 1976 C4 has a serious oil leak and as it keeps on hunting between 2nd and 3rd doing rough changes at 30mph; it's time for a rebuild.

I have recently bought a second old C4 off ebay (from essex) and am going to have a shot at either rebuilding my current C4, or my new spare C4.

There is a wide variety of rebuild kits available and I was wondering if anyone had advice regarding:
* recommended rebuild kit (where to buy)
* supplier of Type F --might be needing a fair few litres
* DVD of rebuild (anyone got one gathering dust?)
* anything else worth considering

Many thanks!

QB

#2 ·
I'm sure Red Victor can supply all the bits. Buy 2 gallons of fluid. Haynes do a manual for Ford Autos , it's fairly good. There are bits missing as with a lot of those manuals though. Got mine through their online book shop. Trans gel is useful too - lubricates all the parts before you put fluid in & helps to hold bits in place during assembly.

#3 ·
got my rebuild kit with 2 bands and new steels and clutches from us automotive about £80ish when you do rebuild make shure you do all the rubber seals and take the govoner apart and replace the little filter in there .
with c4`s you get 2nd to 3rd flare up when the clutches are burnt out or just about to burn out ,good luck mate .
might be worth sliding a shifter kit in the valve body while its out and in bits (you will have to split the valve body anyway to get all the shit out of it ,be warned the little balls in there do like to run off lol so caefully does it lol)

#6 ·
if you get a master rebuild kit it has all the bits you need appart from the shifter kit
Yes, I see realsteel also has a rebuild kit, which looks maybe okay:

"
STD/Heavy Duty Rebuild Kits/Bands/Gasket Kits/Seals
These kits are designed to give you all the parts needed for the average overhaul, so you do-it-yourself.
Kit contents vary, ask salesperson for further details. Powerglide kits come complete with low band. If you need the band, double check before buying the kit, as some kits do not come with the band.
BYKT-1083 C4 1970-77 Standard type £42.15
"

I'll give them a call to see what they advise.

many thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.